Back from Manchester

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bernhard

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello friends,

I am back from Manchester :( . It is indeed a very booming town with good food, beer, wine ...... but no shop for high end handtools.

But you never give up and I successfully hunted a Veritas 4 1/2 and the famous Clifton 3110 (combination rebate, bull nose and chisel plane) at Barnitts in York.

Of course York is worthwhile a visit at any time but I did not expect to find a shop for hand tools in this lovely city.

Thank you for all your recommendations.

Best regards
Bernhard

Glad you enjoyed your visit - but being from Yorkshire,I can only agree with you that York is much nicer than Manchester :wink:

Andrew

PowerTool":3s4eemqi said:
Glad you enjoyed your visit - but being from Yorkshire,I can only agree with you that York is much nicer than Manchester :wink:

Andrew

Hmm ... time for a pool on how long it takes before you hear from Cornwall??? 8) :lol:

Cheers -

Rob

(basking in the -19C weather....)

"Basking" :?

I'm from NorthEast England,where anyone who even thinks about wearing anything more than a short-sleeved shirt in winter is regarded as a soft southern shandy-drinker ( :wink: ) and I remember it being that cold here one winter in the early eighties..

Brrrrrrrrrrrr,thats just a bit too nippy for short sleeves :D

Andrew

PowerTool":22um804w said:
"Basking" :?

I'm from NorthEast England,where anyone who even thinks about wearing anything more than a short-sleeved shirt in winter is regarded as a soft southern shandy-drinker ( :wink: ) and I remember it being that cold here one winter in the early eighties..

Brrrrrrrrrrrr,thats just a bit too nippy for short sleeves :D

Andrew

Funny how you lot always say that, but it's only when you are out getting trolleyed on a Friday/Saturday night that you actually do it. The rest of the time you always look quite well wrapped up.

Says Jake, having spent a few years among those southern(yorkshire) shandy drinkers in Sheffield. No doubt you actually are too poor further north to afford a coat.

I'm just going to get my nice warm cashmere London one now.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Jake - I do actually wear short sleeves all year
And don't go out getting trolleyed on a Friday/Saturday (or any other night of the week - and don't drink much in the house either)

Both of which seem to make me the "odd one out" at work - so perhaps you are right.... :D

P.S. - ordinary cashmere,or specially imported ?

Andrew

Rob Lee":3sfu2wed said:
PowerTool":3sfu2wed said:

Andrew

Hmm ... time for a pool on how long it takes before you hear from Cornwall??? 8) :lol:
No, I agree, York is nicer than Manchester :lol: - but then I have a Yorkshire connection or two myself.

Cheers, Alf

Going away now, before this turns into The Yorkshireman sketch - "Eee, we were too poor to have t'jumper to oursleves. We shared it on alternate days." "Shared it? Shared it?! We were lucky to see t'jumper once a year" "See one? Why, I didn't know what a wooly jumper were til I were 21" etc... :wink:

Alf":31i07heb said:
Going away now, before this turns into The Yorkshireman sketch - "Eee, we were too poor to have t'jumper to oursleves. We shared it on alternate days." "Shared it? Shared it?! We were lucky to see t'jumper once a year" "See one? Why, I didn't know what a wooly jumper were til I were 21" etc... :wink:

"Luxury! There were 'undred an' fifty o' us gather'd t'gether and wrapped aroond with a piece o' damp newspaper."

:wink:

Careful Taffy don't forget we are away to them in the six nations rugby. Let them at least have a nice Christmas
:roll: :roll: :wink: :wink: :eek:ccasion5: :ho2

Les

Barnitts York, you are kidding, that's just up the road from me.
Amazing place. One of those shops that seems to go on forever. It being York also guarantees that if the premises is bigger than a postage stamp, it'll have more hidden rooms than the Crystal Maze.
Bernhard, glad you found something in the end. To be honest I've not been into the hand tool section for a while. It's been superseded by the cheaper online shops. But I might have to have another peak now they're stocking veritas items.

AndyG":27f8doiq said:
Barnitts York, you are kidding, that's just up the road from me.
Amazing place. One of those shops that seems to go on forever. It being York also guarantees that if the premises is bigger than a postage stamp, it'll have more hidden rooms than the Crystal Maze.
Bernhard, glad you found something in the end. To be honest I've not been into the hand tool section for a while. It's been superseded by the cheaper online shops. But I might have to have another peak now they're stocking veritas items.

Sorry Andy,

but Veritas 4 1/2 was the last plane I got. They promised to recharge soon. Some Cliftons are left and some other items from Veritas like this tiny round item for measuring the bevel. Congratulations that you have the chance to live next to this marvellous nice town York. Have you tried this chocolate shop next to Barnitts? It is incredible expensive but also terrible good (My doctor would should at me!). :oops:

Best regards
Bernhard

Bernhard,
Not to worry, I'm not sure the bank account could take the hammering of some more tools!!
I've not tried the chocolate shop, but I'll check it out next time I'm in town.
Enjoy your new purchases
Andy

Back