Baby

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newt

Established Member
Reaction score
Just an idle thought, why do folk say so and so has given birth to a baby girl/boy, you cannot give birth to an adult, why not just given birth to a girl/boy. I guess it is just convention/habit, even more strange when they say given birth to a little baby girl/boy, it's never a big baby girl / boy. I don't have an issue with this just interested in how we communicate events. As an aside one thing that does bug me is the standard now almost universal greeting "ALLRIGHT" I assume this is a shortened version of HELLO are you all right.

One that springs to mind is a line in the song "Moonlight Shadow" by Mike Oldfield. They sing "4 a.m. in the morning" - like there's a 4 a.m. in the afternoon! :?

Dave

steadyeddie":20wj33rx said:
One that springs to mind is a line in the song "Moonlight Shadow" by Mike Oldfield. They sing "4 a.m. in the morning" - like there's a 4 a.m. in the afternoon! :?

Dave

Nice one :)

Pete, do you ever say to anyone 'goodmorning' when it is VERY obvious that is is indeed a good morning? Do you ever ask 'how are you' when the person you are talking to is not well?

As for babies, what else are you going to say when you see your mates new baby, just a day old? Bloody hell he's a whopper?

I'm lost for any more words apart from te greeting in Yorkshire "Now then".

Another one - why do some people, when seeing something good, exclaim "that's the sh-it" :duno:

When you are run over by a bus that went "straight round the corner" and nearly killed you, your "lucky"

Jonzjob":66q0wbhr said:
Is this some kind of Welsh greeting Mark?
As far as I know, no. If what tv has taught me is correct, it's a popular phrase with young black Americans...

Anyway...

Why, when someone hurts themselves, do people say "be careful" AFTER the cry of damn and blast?

Your'e lucky.That drives me bloody mad. Years back I was almost killed in a motorbike accident by a red light jumper.
Somebody told me I was lucky. I told them proper like.
I was not lucky I was bloody near killed, almost lost a leg cue several pages of incoherent ranting.
I was however fortunate to be able to walk again a year after the event. I found myself dancing at a festival, I sat on the floor and cried my eyes out realising that I was sorted. Big thanks to paramedics and the NHS.
Lucky indeed. Aaaaargh.

Chunko'.

The one I liked best involved my dad. He was ploughing a field with a friend of his taking turns. To save time at change over dad hopped off the tractor, but his mate missed his footing and went under the plough.
According to his friend my dad dashed up and shouted, 'Are you alive?'

Roy.

mark aspin":1la421ae said:
Another one - why do some people, when seeing something good, exclaim "that's the sh-it" :duno:

Gosh it rather sounds as though they have taken a phrase such as "Thats the STUFF dreams are made of" abbreviated it and personalised it. Is English not a wonderous thing no wonder you never (very rare) get a foreigner who can truly grasp the language.

Latest posts

Back