Baby Walker and Braked wheels - ideas

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bp122

Expert at Jibber-Jabber
Reaction score
Hi all

My 8 month old just decided to stand up holding the coffee table and smile! Since he did that the first time, it is his favourite trick now and does it all the time.

So naturally, I thought the next step (pun intended) is unassisted standing and assisted walking.

Now, I HATE paying money or (even get for free) for cheap (or even reasonable qaulity) plastic toys and stuff. I'd love to have a wooden one, which looks better and feels great.

I have seen a few designs online and quite like a few. But a few people online and in the family have suggested that having braked (not to stop, but just to provide enough resistance to discourage speeding) wheels on them is beneficial.

I was wondering if anyone here has built one and used braked wheels. Were they wooden wheels or rubber? And how did you apply the brakes?

I'm thinking of a disc brake concept, having an axle between the rear set of wheels with a wooden disc in the middle and have a tightening knob which puts pressure on the disc.

And any suggestions about this project will be deeply appreciated!

What he said ^

Number 1 offspring escaped from his baby walker in under a week. He followed this up by undoing stair gate locks with no trouble. Once they get going they are on a mission.

Grandchild on the way, I was very keen to make a cot with a drop-down side. Then I got cold feet thinking what if it went wrong and grandchild was hurt. There are allsorts of rules and regulations on this – probably a good idea.
But I do like your thinking on making him work a little harder!

I suspect you are right.

No point in me spending 40 hours in the workshop making something he would use for two!

Back