baby safe finish?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

graham

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, I have bought a new beech changing table for the new arrival...(5 weeks to go!) and was wondering what type of finish to apply?
I don't want to leave it unfinished and abviously am looking for something non toxic and safe for wee ones!
Cheers in advancy for any suggestions,
Graham

Hi Graham

You have several options to choose from really. The following information applies to products we make - they have been tested to EN71 Toy Regulations and are therefore safe for toys and nursery furniture and of course I don't know if the same applies for other manufacturers. (Liberon are pretty good on this but many others don't bother)

I'm assuming you'll be using a changing mat on top of the changing table (bit cold and hard for little bottoms otherwise!) so you'll want something that is hardwearing enough to withstand any spills but does not need to be particularly tough. To be honest, I'm not sure how vital the Toy Safe aspect is but it can't hurt.

Choice one is to use Finishing Oil, three coats. Easy to apply and wipe-resistant.

Or you could use Cellulose Sanding Sealer followed by Melamine Lacquer.

Or Acrylic Sanding Sealer (brushing, the aerosol version hasn't been tested yet) followed by Acrylic Lacquer (any of the versions we supply).

Finishing Oil will probably be the easiest.

I'd recommend finishing the table as soon as possible so that any smell associated with these products (Finishing Oil is sadly the worst culprit) has plenty of time to dissipate. A week should be more than sufficient really but the longer the better.

Very best wishes for the happy event in five weeks time!

Hi Alf

I'm not sure if a shellac finish would be hard wearing enough here, bearing in mind it will probably be wiped down quite a bit.

It's also worth bearing in mind that although shellac is a naturally occurring product and in itself pretty harmless as far as I know, most of what is bought has been refined and purified in some way, possibly using chemical processes which could affect it's child friendliness.
(Our Shellac Sanding Sealer has been tested for use on toys and passed, but I didn't suggest it as I'm not sure about its suitability here.)

I don't pretend to know everything about finishing so I'd be interested in your thoughts on this...

That'll teach me to put my toe in the water... :lol:

Well, I reckon wiping shellac clean isn't going to cause it any trouble, but then I'm not overly familiar with nappy changing procedures - my last recollection would have been when I was the one with the nappy... As long as you don't put the baby's glass of Scotch on the top while you change him/her, should be fine. And very easy to repair if required. As for how non-toxic it is, it better blooming well be - I use it on places I know the parrots will chew (i.e. everywhere :roll: ), and neither of them are doing an impression of a Norwegian Blue yet. Yes, I know parrots aren't babies; they're much more sensitive to toxins and there are fewer of them about for a start. :wink: I'd buy some ready mixed blonde de-waxed, wipe on as many coats as I could bear the boredom of doing, and that'd do the job nicely. Erm... not sure you sell that do you.... (just pulling your leg, Terry, honest :wink: )

Cheers, Alf

Hi again Alf

Parrots?

Our Shellac Sanding Sealer is probably very close to the product you mentioned, although you're right, we don't sell the exact product you describe. If I know of someone else's product would do the job I usually say so - if we don't do it we can't sell it!

It's been a long time since I changed a nappy and the changing mat bore the brunt of things, and being vinyl it was very easy to wash down. I'm still not sure how well a shellac finish will stand up to semi-regular cleaning and washing, I must confess that it wouldn't be my choice for these reasons.

However, we all have our own ideas and I'm always keen to say that with woodfinishing there is rarely a definitive answer, only different ways of doing things which is where a forum like this comes into its own!

Graham, I too will make a baby changing unit. I only have about 6 weeks left and I haven't started!!
Would you care to post a picture of your finished project :D ?

Thanks Terry for the good info. This Forum amazes me... it always answers my questions before I get a chance to ask :wink:

Well, I can't add to comments about the finish, but as a concerned parent of 2 young kiddies (3 1/2 yrs & 15 months), I'd raise a concern about the use of changing tables. Ikkle kiddies squirm around a lot, and a changing table is a long way for em to fall...a changing mat on the floor is much safer!

Tottally off-thread, but my tuppence worth

Terry Smart":3kt5o2jt said:
Parrots. Bertie on the left, PJ on the right:
parrots.jpg

Guess how long it took me to get them to both stay still long enough for the pic... :roll:

And it's okay, I'm used to shellac being dismissed. It frequently is. :wink:

Cheers, Alf

I once had a Macaw but he left me when the Gulf war started. He said he was going to sign up and do his duty for queen and country.

Of course, he became a parrotrooper.

Yours

Gill

(I know - I'm making far too many contributions to this forum.)

I do wonder why we pay so much attention to things we make ourselves for the kids/babies but (from experience) when we buy something ready made we tend not to worry.

For the brief periods that a baby will be on the changing table will he/she be licking it? - I doubt it, or even touching it with bare skin? - I doubt it also as a changing mat/towel is much more comfortable than a hard wooden surface.

My all means be concerned about what goes into the baby's mouth but when it comes to furniture finishes try not to get too paranoid. Do we sterilize our clothes before holding a baby or clean the sofa everytime we sit on it.

We all need to catch germs in order to build our immune systems - an overly sterile & clean house seems to be quoted by some experts as the cause of some of our children's problems in later years.

AndyP

Alf,

Your Bertie isn't a Norwegian Blue is he? Boootiful plumage.

Cheers,
Barry

Back