Baby Cot

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewbieRaf

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys

Newbie here both to woodworking and this great forum. Awesome to see such a Forum for us Brits. As, I am sure, with many new Dad to be, I am embarking on building my Son's first Cot and I was wondering if anyone has done such a thing (no search function on the forum) or if there is anyone out there with examples. I'm looking at making the frame with White Oak from SLHardwoods as they seem to reasonably priced, but wondering if anyone has any other recommendations of good online timber merchants.

I am still at the point of doing my drawings and getting a cut list together so any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Hi Newbie

I think I have seen 4 or 5 cot builds 2 of which were mine
sadly I cannot search the forum for my builds

Steve

Steve, most of us struggle with the search engine I think, But if you started the thread or subscribed to the thread, go to your control panel (click on your name top right corner) and then "manage subscriptions" you can scroll back through all your posts. of course if it was a few years ago youve got an afternoon of scrolling ahead of you.

Thank you so much guys that's a real help.

Any recommendations for online merchants for oak?

As for searching the site, if the moderator is looking at this post, ping me I work in IT im sure I can suggest a better forum platform :)

ps. you guys can just call me Raf :)

Thanks again

As for searching the site, if the moderator is looking at this post, ping me I work in IT im sure I can suggest a better forum platform :)

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: I bagsy first one in the air raid shelter =D> =D> =D>

Haha Love it.

I am trying to decide, for the cot bars on the side, should I use standard oak board and use a router to cut the mortice? or do I take the easy route and use oak dowels. Never done Mortices before

Welcome Raf.
There is a cheat for the mortices if you want to get the little one in his cot before paying his first year of college. Plow a groove the length of the top and bottom rails and put a spacer between each spindle. If they are a little wider than the depth of the groove they add a bit to the design. Use a round over bit on the part that sticks above the rail so the edges aren't sharp and do it before you cut the long stock into spacers. You just need to be careful to get the length of the spacer right so the last spindle has the same gap as the first.

Pete

Thank you Pete you've inspired me and having watched a youtube video it seems pretty straight forward. Indeed I will practice on offcuts beforehand.

Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back