B & Q

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Me old vac is nearly dead i noticed that b&q got specials on their dust extractors . I know you gets what you pay for but has any body used one of these £118 extractors and do they at least extract dust :lol: . It'll probably make everyone in a 100 yard area deaf but i thought at that price still cheaper than a decent vac .

anobium punctatum (can I call you beetle?)

Haven't tried the B & Q things but would certainly suggest the Trend T30 vac. Quiet, 5 m of hose, 6 m of flex, a few tools, power take of with 6 sec overrun, plenty of capacity and don't need bags (with fine filter). So good the wife stole mine and had to get another. (price circa £135 if you look around).

Rgds

Noel

hmmm, your tempting me now :(

Might have a look at them on the Axminster show. I've got the earlex one, very good, bit noisy - but does a great job - Its made in the town I live in too!

But the trend just has that look of being SOLID :D

Just to add another 2p, the Trend is a solid, no frills, efficient vac. On my first one something blew on the PCB that looks after the power takeoff switch. rang Trend tech support, new PCB arrived by post in under 20 hours, and I live in N Ireland. Great machine and great backup.

Rgds

Noel

The trend vac has a 36mm hose, so how effective is it connected up to a 100mm outlet of a planer/thicknesser for example. My wicks vac has a similar small hose and its useless on the 100mm outlets of my thicknesser and bandsaw

For those who have the trend, would it be powerful enough to use in concert with the axminster dust extraction kit?

Billzee

I have dug up these postings from Andy King, where I posted some questions, about an article of his in GWW (Good Woodworking): -

"I have found the Axminster system I have fitted to be excellent. I fitted with an inline dustbin extender (which sits outside the workshop with hoses through the workshop wall)this minimises emptying and means the extractor only has finer dust to contend with.
I have changed it slightly from my initial fitting. I started out with double blastgates at each point, one to isolate each outlet and the other to isolate the inline running length so that maximum power was always available. As I didn't have enough blastgates available to finish the system at the time, I ended up with single gates per outlet, and to be honest, over the run I have, (about 28feet), it works perfectly.
My system including extractor, bin extender, extractor system and dustbin came to about £240 which I think is great value for a fine filter system which can also pull bigger waste from my machines. (planer thicknesser, bandsaw, tablesaw)"

and

"I have installed a small system in my home workshop using the Axminster 63mm dust extraction kit and the Axminster WV100 drum extractor. Although the bore size is smaller, it works fine for me, I have it in a horizontal 'U' shaped run of about 28 feet with five blastgate points for individual machines. I had initially started to double blastgate each point to give maximum pressure, but I found it worked equally as well over the distance with singles, just opening the desired port as required.
I chose a drum extractor because I wanted to store it under the bench as wall space is tight, and I also wanted a model that can deal with finer dust particles when I'm sanding or working in MDF. The twin bag systems are fine but the top cloth bag on most of these extractors let the fine dust escape, so are only good for coarse chippings. There are bags available to take the finer dust out though.
As for wall mounted models, we use a Record DX5000 in our workshop which again fine filters, but has a waste sack to catch the chippings. This is fine, but is a bit of a pain to swap over sacks when it is full as they invariably drop to the floor and spill, and as its tucked out of the way and I have to shift everything to get near it!
On my home system, to keep emptying times to a minimum, I have used the Axminster dustbin extender which is a special lid that fits over a heavy duty household dustbin and is connected to the extractor and the system with hoses so that the waste is pulled into the bin first. This lets the heavier chippings fall into the bin and the dust goes on to the extractor.
I find it works very well in my workshop, and to keep valuable space, I have drilled a couple of holes through the workshop wall so that the dustbin can live outside. Although the hoses are 63mm there are a variety of reducers step up adaptors for standard outlets. I use it on a tablesaw, bandsaw and planer thicknesser and it copes with ease."

Cheers
Neil

Billzee / Neil,

When I first got my planer I didn't have a decent dust/chip collector and used the Trend vac on it. To some extent it was ok but two issues soon became apparent: capacity was a problem - had to empty the vac every 10 mins or so and more significantly there just wasn't enough "suck" to clear the chips off the infeed and outfeed rollers. This resulted in small indentations on the finished timber.
It's back to the issue of HPLV and LPHV. The Trend is excellent for sanding, routing, cleanup etc where volume of waste is not important. Wouldn't be without the Trend in that respect. I had thought of building some sort of cyclone / dustbin contraption but ended up getting a Record DX5000 which I'm happy with.
If the machine you are using has a 100mm outlet best to use a dedicated 100mm extractor from Axminster, Record etc.

Rgds

Noel

Noely and neil, this is the issue I am concerned about.

Thanks for raking that article up Neil. It suggests the axminster system is ok with the big stuff but Noely has reservations. Both systems use a similar drum type vac. So, is the axminster wv100 vac that much better than the trend t30.( they are similar in price also) If the AK article is to be accepted 100% then YES.

I must admit the thought of choosing that one and paying the £200 + is a bit worrying if it fails to deal with the thicknesser shavings which noely had problems with and I am also, as the wicks vac just don't touch em :(

I did like the idea of 'plumbing' the whole system in as in AK's article. There is enough jiggling that goes on in a small shop without plugging and unplugging the extractor hose from each bit of equipment every time you use it

Hi Billzee

The 240 mentioned by Andy was not just for the dust extractor, it included the hose, blast gates etc. etc.

I have a Trend T30 which is great for portable work. When my workshop is complete I intend to buy exactly the same as Andy King in his Good Woodworking article.

Cheers
Neil

Billzee,

Have read Andy King's article and looked at the tech specs of the Trend and the Axminster WV100 and, frankly, I'm none the wiser. Andy has a dustbin separator and a 28' system made up with the Axminster accessory kit and it seems to work. The WV100 draws 195 m2 / hour and the Trend draws 3,300 Litres per mins. Now it's well beyond me to work out which has better airflow (should be a consistant standard for simple minded people like me - my DX5000 quotes airflow or static pressure in inches of mercury or something).
Perhaps somebody can help on the conversion....

Certainly the separator would be a great help on the planer side of things although I can't see it improving the airflow or static pressure.
Suppose your options would be to go the GWW route or have a dedicated 100mm extractor and use your existing vac for bench based tasks.
Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Rgds

Noel

Hi Neil, yup, I realised the price was for the whole system. I think I'm gonna take a chance with the GWW idea as soon as the bank balance recovers from the thicknesser :lol:

Noely, I agree its confusing the different ways they rate these vacs. Perhaps the seperator makes the difference with the planer shavings.

Anyways, unless there are any more illuminating posts on this question I'll give the axmuster route a try. Sounds a great option if it works

While I'm waiting I might give that home-made cyclone a try,, you never know :wink:

Thanks for both of your help :)

Thanks Ijam. That puts the two vacs on roughly a par, so where do we go from here?

BTW, nice bit of software :wink:

I use an Axminster ADE1200 for my planer/thicknesser, jointer and router table, and a Trend T30 for my table saw (which is in the middle of the shop - I didn't want hoses all over the place because I can trip over shadows!). It works a treat, and the T30 is a brilliant bit of kit. Anyhow - the reason I'm posting is that I recently bought a little vacuum with power take-off from B&Q on impuse for about £34 to handle the bits around the workbench and to use on portable tools - and it's terrific! It's very light but surprisingly powerful - ideal for belt sanders, hand routing and especially general cleaning up. Not a huge capacity, but for £34 it's worked out to be a real bargain. I use it all the time.
Highly recommended!

billzee":2927ft3d said:
Thanks Ijam. That puts the two vacs on roughly a par, so where do we go from here?

BTW, nice bit of software :wink:

Billzee..
I may be able to shed some light here...
for small mess jobs like sanding, shop clean up etc I rely on my 30 litre shop vac with it's 36mm hose. Works fine until I try pushing the envelope. I'll cope with my benchtop jointer when connected to a 63mm step up adaptor, but only if I'm planing narrow stock. Wide boards overload it in short order; the dust bags fill in minutes. I wouldn't even begin to think about using it with my thicknesser. General rule of thumb is the bigger the mess maker......the bigger the hose you need to deal with it. The worrying part.... as I've found to my cost is that the bulk of the 100mm duct systems marketed at the non professional user are barely fit for purpose. I'd love to say that my Rexon DE 1000F is 100% efficient when hooked to the thicknesser, but the sad fact is that it just doesn't move enough air. I certainly wouldn't consider using it.... nor any other 100mm duct system as the main vac for a hard piped multi machine set up.

this link freaked me out when I read it.... but it's an education...
check it out....

http://cnets.net/~eclectic/woodworking/ ... ement.html

Midnight, Ive gone with the record4000 which is a 100mm drum job with 2 motors so I am keeping my fingers crossed that it copes with the thicknesser. Someone else has reported that the rec 5000 which is a similar spec machine copes okay. :)

Hi folks.

Ive got the Charnwood 2HP extractor.

http://www.charnwood.net/ProductDesc.js ... ckref=W691

nigh on turns my thicknesser inside out!

Weve run ducting (soil pipe) around the ceiling of the workshop along the back wall and down both sides with blast gates at various points to give
us picks ups for nearly all the machinery.

Although I havent upgraded yet to the fine filter bag I can now get through
the workshop with out the need for snow shoes or emergency flares in case I get stuck in a drift.

Initially we used to run the bag to capacity but soon realised its a damn site easier to empty when not full as moving 148Litres of dust and chips is
hard work :wink:

Cheers

Signal

Signal how noisy is it n how long you had it and whats the quality like .
soz for all the questions but WLTK, thanks

Back