B & Q Selling hard Wood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Vastano

Established Member
Reaction score
Having a wander round B & Q at the weekend and noticed they are selling wood turning Blanks and some examples of waney edged boards. But before you all rush out to buy some :D

It's all pretty bad splits and the like, from what I can gather I think its aimed at people who intend to just screw some chrome legs to it and put in the lounge.

Also its pretty bloody expensive £28 for a two foot length of Oak with a split down most of the length.

Yes noticed the Aberdeen branch was selling Oak and Beech turning blanks and other waney edged pieces aimed at chopping boards, shelves etc. To be fair the pieces I saw were actually okay as far as condition was concerned although as already stated they were over priced.

Cheers,

Ben

Warrington store by burger king has some.

Got a slab for a coat rack in the porch, £8 was 41cm by about 2.5 and about30cm high.

Quick sand of the edges and corners, 3 coats of Danish oil and some big coat hooks and looks quite nice for no more than £17.

Maybe not fine woodworking but handy if you need a small bit quickly..

Might only be a b&q warehouse thing for availability. My local b&q doesn't sell blanks but the warehouse in dartford does, hope that helps someone

It is online and you can search stock at store so quick way to see where you can get it from if needed.

Probably not top quality and needs work but handy for people who want a bit of oak to play with without needing to buy loads or travel for miles.

Saw some in the Wigan branch a few months ago. They have a section that they're flogging as 'real wood' or some nonsense aimed at the shabby chic, amateur restoration types.

Can't remember how much the slabs were but I know that the turning blanks were extremely overpriced.

To be honest it's handy, especially considering the amount of posts we get from people struggling to find decent suppliers of hardwood. I feel bad about encouraging B&Q though, because it's setting an unrealistic standard for hardwood quality and price.

I wonder how consistent prices are across their different stores. I can imagine turning blanks are fairly uniform, but I can see waney edged slabs being the same.

No hardwood at our B&Q here in Redditch. Not even sure they know what hardwood is!! The closest thing they have here is veneered MDF!

Same old story when you enquire, "If it is'nt on the shelf then we have'nt got it!!!"

Back