B&Q Compressor and Nail Gun

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gidon

Established Member
Reaction score
Posted yesterday but deleted in server upgrade
Just bought one today. Was going to get either the screwfix or the clarke one - both look a little better but more expensive. But I was again tempted by a bargain (£70)! This is only £30 odd pound more than the electric Rapesco nailer!
Fired a couple of nails but will have a proper play later. And will write more of a review. But first impressions are OK. Left a dent in the wood (mdf). Has no pressure gauge so seems to be trial and error. The knob to loosen the regulator was very stiff - had to get a clamp on it for leverage to turn.
Also the intrstictions say you can only leave on for 10 minutes (no air tank I guess). This shouldn't be a problem for me. If I really like the thing and find it very useful I will no doubt upgrade eiher the gun or compressor - but decent stuff is very pricey - at this price at least I can whet my appetite.
OK - more to come if anyone's interested.
Cheers
Gidon

Im interested to see how you get on with that, ive tried the Rapasco electric nailer & it ruins any wood you use it on, let us know what that one is like when you get time, does it mark hardwood, softwood etc..

Thx
Nick :)

I know screwfix have a GREAT deal on the back of their latest catalogue.

I think its £99 for A compresser (With 6ltr tank) nail Gun, Spray Gun, Hose, Blow gun and tyre inflater.

NOT BAD!

But scince my NASTY experice with the £100 Cosmo compressor and nailer, i'll pass and get a good thing when I have the dosh. The EB kit looks very good!

An update - couldn't get around the marking wood - so returned and got a refund. It is good value - and the compressor is nice and small for a small workshop. There's no pressure gauge whcih may or may not be a problem. But the output is pretty good. It's made by SIP I think. The gun is quite well made (for the price) - but it marks the wood.
Your cosmo post worries me - that's what I've bought to replace the B&Q one! Had a quick go of it last night - and the flippin' striking pin stuck - I spent an hour taking the gun apart to resolve - but haven't managed to try the gun out again. And the other annoying thing is the compressor although having a 10l tank - has no on off regulator - so you still have to turn it on and off!
Why don't I learn! Trouble is looked around and needed to spend at least £250 to get decent compressor and nail gun. Too much I felt - but may change my mind.
Cheers
Gidon

Gidon
I also have the B&Q gun, I found that if you close the tap a bit and adjust the reg it dose inprove things a bit. Had mine a cupple of years and its been fine, didnt see anything in the book about times, ive had mine on all day before making up a load of trellis.
WORD OF WORNING, IT HURTS LIKE HELL GETTING THE NAILS OUT YOUR FINGERS :cry: SO KEEP THEM WELL OUT OF THE WAY
Mick

Hi Mick - I'm not sure this is the same gun - this is a kit they've only had out a couple of weeks - and the gun's got awful recoil.
The cheap cosmo nailer I have now leaves no marks and sinks the nail a mm or two as well.
Cheers
Gidon

Gidon

I bought the B&Q 6ltr tank compressor, coil hose and air pinner (18gauge brads) about 18 months ago. Mine came with a pressure regulator which gives some degree of control and reduces marking, but a gun without a plastic shoe will potentially always leave a mark. Brickbats: It isn't very sophisticated (read cheap), the safety bar in the nose gets bent too easily, the coiled hose is a flaming nuisance (James, I do agree with you) and it is a bit fiddly to strip down. Bouquets: The compressor is absolutely unbreakable, the gun always works despite being thrown around in the back of the car/van/trailer and has frequently been operated with minimal lubrication. I have been unable to kill it (thus far) and it has done more than 10 boxes of brads (1,000 to a box). Considering that the whole thing cost less than half the price of the deWalt 18gauge pinner on its own (i.e. without a compressor) I reckon it was a real bargain.

Scrit

Scrit, I have got the same kit and would echo your experience.

I replaced the coiled hose with a 50ft standard HP airline, which cost about £15, this makes all the difference. Prior to using this hose the gun would often jam when the compressor recharged, never ever happens with the new hose attached. I reckon the pressure in the hose acts as a buffer.

The long hose also saves moving the compressor about when the coiled hose runs out of length, it also means that you are further away from the noise when the pump cycles.

Graham

I did eventually replace the nuisance hose with a straight hose and found the same as yourself, that the longer hose acts as a reservoir and the gun doesn't stall as much. Unlike others I haven't had too many problems with marking, possibly because I utrn the regulator down to about 65-75psi

Scrit

Thanks Scrit. The machine I got from B&Q (which I have since taken back) is not the same one you and Graham are talking about - it didn't even have a tank.

I think the replacement I got (Cosmo nailer kit - reviewed in this months GW) is similiar to yours and is far better. I've had not problems with marking the wood. There is no pressure regulator but I just have it on maximum (or just below) and it sinks the nails beautifully. The compressor is noisy but for the amount I use it it's no problem.

Cheers

Gidon

After reading this thread it sounds like the arrow nailer from screwfix @£9.99 with brads was a fantastic deal
Thanks for cheering me up even more guys :lol:

I returned three Arrow Stapler/Nailers to Screwfix, all three had different problems but the third went up in smoke, a flash, a pop and all the lights went out in the house as the RCD tripped :roll: Touching an entire forest of wood, so far so good, no problems with the fourth one but I've got a Cosmo 10L comp. and nail gun on order, look forward to it :wink: ....don't worry I won't write a review.... :D

yeah, touching much timber, my one is ok, though its only had light use.

Wot a bargain :wink:

:twisted:
its a false economy to buy the cheaper tools. I've fallen foul to this. I've bought a draper gun £100 and its very good, even on hardwoods.

Regarding the mention about SIP making B&Qs compressor.
I bought the SIP 24l 1½hp compressor complete with airline, spraygun, tyre inflator etc when it was less than £100 on QVC.
I also bought the SIP brad nailer at the same time.
The compressor has 2 outlets so I can fit the nailer & an airline at the same time.
The only marks I see are from where the brads are sunk below the wood.
I added 2 female quick release outlets to the compressor & male connectors to each airline courtesy of Machine Mart
(well they are local)
I'm quite happy with it except when it needs taking up & down the garden steps.
TG I don't have to move it round too often.
The handle could do with being higher to save my aching back.
All in all, I have no complaints yet.

Hi Dewy,

You're right about the crappy handle on the SIP comp. Falls over if you lift too high, too low and you turn into Igor.....
I've something similar, 24Ltr and 1.5 or 2.0 hp (canny remember) green one and although bought 2nd hand a couple years ago for £50 odd I find it a great performer. At the time hadn't a clue about oil and oil-less and realised that the oil-less comps are alot noiser but it holds a decent charge so not on too much. Only really use it with a Bostich 1850 brad nailer (which I thoroughly recommend) and the kids bike tyres, toys etc.
As mentioned earlier in thread a decent hose makes a big difference. Ended up with the Goodyear red hose, no kinks and lies nice and flat on the floor.
Rgds

Noel

PS Don't hold a small piece of wood in your hand and fire a 2" nail into it........

Hi Noely,
I have been tempted to fix a bar to increase the height of the handle but the second outlet is in the way.
I had to turn the outlets slightly to connect the air line.
I never did like the coiled air hoses when I was working. The first time a company that I worked at fitted them I got an adapter so I could use my own airline & airgun because the coiled ones got in the way of the machine handles. I still have that airline & airgun hiding away at the back among the garden tools.
The first job when my injured shoulders are healed will be to get a shed to put all the garden things in.
They take up too much room in the garage.
When I am able to get back in the workshop (garage) I may try to attach fixed pipes with outlets at various places along the roof. That way I wont have hoses trailing everywhere so making the workshop safer.

HOMEBASE are selling off their stock of nailer/compressor bundles for £49.99. Got mine on a 10% off day and paid £45!

Great little unit 6litre vessel, guage on input and output, qr fittings, and all in a nice shade of blue.

Excellent bargain.

So far I've been happy with my airless compressor and nail gun from Cosmo. I've fired over 3000 50mm nails to date with no problems other than the compressor over heating because it is airless meaning than it has to run at all times. This is soon to be rectified as I'm going to connect it up to an old propane cylinder which will give me a tank and will stop the compressor needing to be 'on' all the time. If I had it over again I'd still but a Cosmo nail gun but I'd by a compressor 'with' tank rather than without! :)

Back