B*****ds

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerS

Established Member
Reaction score
While at the gym this lunchtime my locker was broken into and everything (including my clothes) was stolen.....leaving me in London with just the sticky gyms clothes I was wearing....since I'd taken my other pairs of trousers to be dry cleaned...and guess where the ticket is??.

Other things stolen included my mobile phone, wallet, cash, cards, reading glasses and so I've lost any numbers that you folks may have given me. So if you can remember giving me your phone number then please can you PM me.

Does anyone know the legal position re claiming from the gym? They have had break-ins before, they offer the facility to store valuables like wallet etc behind the reception desk but not your gym bag and street clothes. Neither do they allow you to take them into the class. There is no security on the building...anyone can walk in from off the street unchallenged.

Roger

Bl**dy H**l Roger, that is bad luck. No idea of the legal position but many commiserations.

When it has receded enough to be less painful, I do want to hear what you did next in your sticky gym wear!

blimey that's terrible news Roger. I have been the victim of a similar crime in the past and know how infuriating it is.

Unfortunately, I don't think you will be successful in holding the gym responsible. I would have thought they will have signs up saying that they are not responsible for anything kept in lockers. It may well be in your membership agreement. Worth checking out tho.

What a royal pain in the proverbial - many, many commiserations, Roger. Reading glasses too? Aargh.

So much for exercise being good for you... :roll:

Cheers, Alf

Roger thats terrible news. Not sure if you'll have any comeback against the gym either. There was a thing on the news the other day about a guy who had his car stolen from an Evans Halshaw garage when it was being serviced. He lost the case.

Hope you'll be able to see the funny side soon - at least you weren't in the pool (or worse the sauna). Sorry.

Tim

coulda been worse Roger... fine state of affairs if you'd been caught in the shower.. ;)

That tough Roger. The credit card companies and mobile operators will get things sorted pretty quick but it is the aggrevation involved that is so maddening.

Unless you can prove negilgence on the gym's part I do not think you will have much luck.

Andy

That's a real PIA Roger. Hope you get all sorted.

Noel

I echo the other sentiments expressed here Roger, hope you get it all sorted[/quote]

Midnight":hsftxxrr said:
coulda been worse Roger... fine state of affairs if you'd been caught in the shower.. ;)

Not a problem as I am a naturist :lol:

Many thanks for all your comments and concern...very, very reassuring that there still are decent people out there.

I think that they do have a duty of care to make the premises safer. There is zero security..anyone can wander in off the street. They could invest in better systems/more staff etc. i don;t think that they can hide behind there disclaimer notices on this but we shall see. I'm a member of Which and they are pretty switched on re consumer law. I'll keep you all posted.

The frustraing thing is that basically your life is on hold until you get replacement cards etc. Thank God that I'm not travelling around a lot at the moment. Imagine going off to the US on business just now!

Roger

If your house were robbed while you had a guest there, would you expect to be liable to them?

I ask this partly because I was burgled two days ago.

Good moral maze question, that one, Jake and sorry to hear it happen. Were you all asleep? Scary.

I guess it depends. If you left the door wide open (like Seymour Leisure Centre) then I'd say Yes..but if you'd taken reasonable care then I'd say No. Does your household insurance cover it?

Roger Sinden":1xkmczja said:
Seymour Leisure Centre
Oh cripes; the flashbacks. :shock: That used to be the place we were marched to once a week in the Summer term to learn to swim. Urgh, horrible place. Always seemed to be in dim and dismal shadow, but maybe that was just in my mind. :evil:

Jake, oh deary me; my commiserations to you too. :( I hope the well known phenomenon of these things running in threes doesn't blight another UK Workshopper. Let's be careful out there, folks. 8-[

Cheers, Alf

Alf":3ohuxmqm said:
Roger Sinden":3ohuxmqm said:
Seymour Leisure Centre
Oh cripes; the flashbacks. :shock: That used to be the place we were marched to once a week in the Summer term to learn to swim. Urgh, horrible place. Always seemed to be in dim and dismal shadow, but maybe that was just in my mind. :evil:

Alf, it still is a dim and dismal place. A friend of mine told me that there was a murder there a few years back.

Roger,

Sorry to here of your loss but:

Roger Sinden":1u0l6llg said:
A friend of mine told me that there was a murder there a few years back.

It sounds like you may of got of lightly. :shock:

Roger Sinden":1yjzo726 said:
......it still is a dim and dismal place.

:shock: So, Roger, what were you doing frequenting such a seedy sounding place? :roll: :lol:

Do you have extended cover on your contents insurance? PITA, I know, but that would probably cover your losses - although it sounds as though you don't need the trousers anyway! :wink:

Cheers,

Trev.

Trev I need to check the insurance. Even if I have I don't see why I should spoil my relatively claim free record. Seymour have a duty of care and they are negligent IMHO- and so I will write to the MD in the first instance (copy to the relevant Westminster Council councillor) asking for compensation.

Failing that, it's the small claims court.

Roger

Latest posts

Back