B&D urban myth?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The spennymoor site was 2min walk from my house, it boasted the biggest production line in the world at one point.
Like everything else production went to poland and houses built on the site. all that is left is a repair facilty and I think an off shoot of B&D, 'minicraft' was taken over by some managers.
Funny story, the woman who did the assembly would be searched before leaving at the end of shift, so they would hide components in their knickers and assemble stuff at home. o_O
was the Factory not in LOW Spennymoor? I used to be Area Manager for a Vaux Pub I think was very near it. Can't remember it's name??

When I got my first home home in the mid-eighties, my uncle gave me his old B&D that had been given to him by his father many years earlier. Lovely as he was, great uncle Jack had a reputation for being a wee bit canny, his favourite brand of cigarettes said to be "OP's" as in "He only ever smokes Other People's". Therefore, for him to have passed on his old drill suggests he had had many good years out of it first! He probably got it from someone else too.

As I recall, it was buff and silver, although the 'silver' might have been bare metal. I had it for well over ten years, probably hammering it more than I should have, after which time I passed it on to a family friend who was about to embark on a carpentry course. No idea if they still have it but I guess that was a drill from a time when B&D produced quality and things were built to last.

was the Factory not in LOW Spennymoor? I used to be Area Manager for a Vaux Pub I think was very near it. Can't remember it's name??
It was on the outskirts of the town near the 'thinford' pub. On an area called butchers race, so named because english soldiers chased down some french spies and butchered them.

Back