B and Q Plywood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomthumbtom8

Established Member
Reaction score
I need to under stand

I have bought some Plywood from B&Q But I suspect it cheap ply and full of gaps in between the layers but I also think it has contaminants in it as well bits of grit and even some metal

I'm sure when I cut it on my table saw I a spark coming from the wood

Is this usual

B&Q sheet is very poor from my experience, I only buy it when I’m desperate or it’s for something unimportant. I did buy some 9mm hardwood ply from them to use underneath some vinyl floor and the double sided tape I used pulled off the outer finish layer which was so thin they must have sprayed it on! Their MDF is almost fluffy, Low Density Fibreboard...

You will almost certainly get voids but there shouldn’t be any internal contamination, are you sure the sheet wasn’t laid on a gritty floor which has embedded on the outside?

I've had good and I've had bad from them. Last couple of times I was in my local B&Q the ply was terrible but their mdf was medite......

no way I'd trust B&Q , not only is the price extortionate, it's not flat either, that been my experience anyway, I didn't even buy it, not fit for purpose, but it was interesting looking around.

I've had reasonable and bad ply from B&Q and don't generally use them; Wickes ply on the other hand I've found to better but still with some voids - Rob

Yes even the top layer is peeling of, "thinner than silver birch bark" uneven and lots of voids.
I need to source ply that is cut to size near Coventry.

Not much love here for B&Q .... add one more. Dreadful place, wouldn't go anywhere near any of their timber products. As for their other products, well, if they bother to replenish the shelves!

tomthumbtom8":1wjfoi02 said:
Yes even the top layer is peeling of, "thinner than silver birch bark" uneven and lots of voids.

If you lack a van to transport whole sheets home or haven't the volume to warrant home delivery then B&Q are at least useful for the cut-to-size service some of their stores offer. However, their stock is awful, the all important face-ply wafer thin that can sometimes be sneezed off and often neither flat nor square. I too have had sparks fly when cutting through boards bought from them.

tomthumbtom8":3khksotu said:

Not sure if they cut to size but they might: Avon Timber, https://avontimber.co.uk (by Coventry airport). Their stuff is good quality. Suggest you give them a ring.

Back