B and Q MDF :-(

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomlt

Established Member
Reaction score
Against my better judgement, furnished with 20quid from the inlaws, I popped into the nations favourite diy store for a sheet of 18mm mdf for a small project they had asked me to build. Now I wasnt expecting medite quality for my money, but for the application that wasnt important. I had them cut it and duly toddled off home with it.

Only when I got home and unloaded it into the workshop did I spot the shiny trasure buried in the middle of the sheet! Not one, but several bits of screw flush with the surface, clearly this cheapo mdf used to be someones prized mfi wadrobe or something! Suffice to say im not best pleased and wont be buying anymore mdf from b and poo! I have experienced this hidden treasure before with chipboard and kitchen work top, but never mdf before.

So be warned if you get suckered into this "cheap" mdf, which btw is not a patch on the normal medite I use. My track saw certainly won't be getting used on this!

Regards, Tom.

MDF isn't the only offender.

This piece of MFC was rescued from a friends recent kitchen re-furb for jig making stock. Check out the "seam" of steel I discovered AFTER ripping it!

No idea where it was sourced but it wasn't B&Q so they aren't alone in the surreptitious recycling of metallic waste.

Attachments

• resize batch1.jpg
    resize batch1.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 134
I used to work for a company called chep who used to dispose of their old pallet wood to a worktop making place. Those pallet bits were riddled with nails and all got shredded.

Hi,

I recently fitted some worktops for my brother-in-law. Against my advice they bought them from B & Q. They were absolutely riddled with bits of metal and completely ruined a router bit.

As well as that, the laminate is very thin and fragile and I expect to be replacing them soon.

Why don't people listen to good advice??

Colin

ive had some rubbish from bnq before, i always check now, the last dozen sheets ive had have all been decent, they even had some medite premier.

if i find they have a bad pallet i will go somewhere else, but its only £15 a sheet at bnq 23£ in jewsons,

Latest posts

Back