Axminster. What’s all this ‘no risk purchases’ etc?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HomeyJay

Established Member
Reaction score
I’m thinking of getting a bandsaw from Axminster but I’m not sure. I’ve seen this stuff on this forum about easy returns, risk free etc but when I called, they basically said you can return anything but it has to unopened and unused in any way and you can’t try something and return it if it doesn’t suit your needs of just don’t get on with it (unlike Amazon, for example).
Have I missed something here as they seem to be the same as everyone else despite the phrases ‘risk free’ and ‘easy returns’ banded (pun totally intended) about whenever their name is mentioned on here!

I think the comments about Axminster are more about the fact that if something is not as it should be they are very good at putting it right. That’s been my experience of them. Could you not visit one of their stores and have a good look before you buy - pretty sure they have one in Cardiff?

Yup, that’s what I was planning to do but I just wanted to clarify the returns procedure just in case I should need it!

I don't think many companies would be happy to accept back a bandsaw that's been setup and used because it's not what you wanted, rather than a fault? Axminster in Cardiff are really helpful, but it might be worth looking at the Record Power ones in Data Powertools just the other side of the Culverhouse roundabout, too. I bought mine there after an RP demonstration weekend, when they were on offer. Good luck!

Thanks Chris but I don’t think Data are open today. I didn’t know they were Record dealers as I didn’t see them on the stockist list.

I was being tempted by a Ax 1950B bandsaw, just trying to justify the expense!

No worries anyway.

HomeyJay":13tnm3oa said:
I’m thinking of getting a bandsaw from Axminster but I’m not sure. I’ve seen this stuff on this forum about easy returns, risk free etc but when I called, they basically said you can return anything but it has to unopened and unused in any way and you can’t try something and return it if it doesn’t suit your needs of just don’t get on with it (unlike Amazon, for example).
Have I missed something here as they seem to be the same as everyone else despite the phrases ‘risk free’ and ‘easy returns’ banded (pun totally intended) about whenever their name is mentioned on here!

That’s not been my experience. I purchased a AC1950B from them, used it for 25 days and then had a few issues, phoned up for technical support, explained my problem and they immediately offered a return and full refund. Now whether I mentioned a known issue or whether they want their customers to be 100% satisfied I can’t say but they sorted my issue and I was happy so will use them again.

Richard

I provided a very quick review here. AC1950B Review and someone else made a comment too. Looking at alternatives I now notice that Axminster have removed the internal reinforcement from the top wheel box, this has reduced a lot of rigidity and is a big downside when compared to the previous hobby range (and most other bandsaws). I think the ceramic guides are also a backward step when compared to the bearing guides used previously.

Richard

Back