Axminster (Vallorbe) files for saw sharpening?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bugbear

Established Member
Reaction score
I own one of these, and so far it's been good. But it's a 8" turnip file.

Since my stash of car-boot acquired Stubs triangular files is running low (saws are deliberately tempered to be soft enough to file, but only JUST soft enough...) I need new saw sharpening files.

Has any one used Vallorbe (APTC) triangular files for saw sharpening, and can offer comment?

Comparative comment (i.e. better/worse than nicholson/sandvik) would be particularly helpful.

BugBear

The question with Tooled-Up, is do they really have the files they say they have? When I first, and last, ordered from them they sent me one - rusty - 4" double extra slim and said that was all they had. That is to say they only said once I'd contacted them demanding to know why they were sending me a rusty file (no paperwork with the parcel, the silly <blanks> ). #-o In short, I'm not a fan and wouldn't recommend them. However, they were Nicholsons IIRC, and they seem to have switched to Bahco now, which may explain the shortage at the time (but not the rustiness...). I think I claimed the Bahco/Sandvik ones were better than the Nicholson's at one stage? Well I've revised my view. The Bahco/Sandviks have not stood up to the slings and arrows of re-toothing nearly as well as the Nicholsons. :( But where does one acquire Nicholsons now? Sorry, BB, I've not tried the Vallorbe ones.

Cheers, Alf

re-toothing

That's lotsa' work - I've only done it once. Pete Taran does mention that working on saws is very hard on files.

Worked on any saws recently, Alf? (he said, hinting...)

BugBear

bugbear":2kiiodm5 said:
re-toothing

That's lotsa' work - I've only done it once. Pete Taran does mention that working on saws is very hard on files.
He's right...

bugbear":2kiiodm5 said:
Worked on any saws recently, Alf? (he said, hinting...)
Not recently, no. Um... You're not going to be very pleased with me. 8-[ I, er, um, well the thing is... I've kinda got used to the blocks on the end of the file method. I leaned over to get a better look and I nearly had my eye out... I'm sorry, I'm just hopelessly set in my ways. :oops:

Embarrassed, Alf

I've kinda got used to the blocks on the end of the file method. I leaned over to get a better look and I nearly had my eye out... I'm sorry, I'm just hopelessly set in my ways.

OK. We appear to have distinct Health and Safety concerns (so I take it you haven't followed. Mr Cherubini's line on the universal wondrousness of striking knives...).

On the safety-of-eyes front (hang-on - I thought you wore glasses?), the pointer could be reduced in length, which would reduce accuracy slightly.

Alternatively (or in combination) you could use horizontal as your reference angle instead of vertical. Bob Wearing actually suggests this; I use vertical since I believe I can judge vertical better than I can judge horizontal.

BugBear

bugbear":2hfojajp said:
OK. We appear to have distinct Health and Safety concerns (so I take it you haven't followed. Mr Cherubini's line on the universal wondrousness of striking knives...).
I have not. Long ago I relegated my striking knife to the "bad idea" pile.

bugbear":2hfojajp said:
On the safety-of-eyes front (hang-on - I thought you wore glasses?),
I do, but I neglected to realise I needed to wear my safety glasses for sharpening a saw and it nearly got through the gap. Obviously I now realise the error of my ways and will make like Norm (tap-tap) :roll:

I think I failed to explain what my difficulty is - not for the first time. As far as I'm concerned it's in the wrong place. I find having to adjust my focus from the teeth to a point nearer me much more difficult than looking at a point just beyond where the teeth are. And an inch and more of hardwood block is easier to focus on than a thin stick, come to think of it... Plus I get feedback from actually gripping the block at the end of the file, so most of the time I don't feel the need to look at it at all. I dunno, I'm just used to that method now I s'pose. Sorry. I'm a hopeless case really aren't I? :oops:

Cheers, Alf

Hmm. Sounds like a what you're used to kind of deal.

I too find that the pointy stick is invisible when vertical.
Which means that if I can see it a correction is required.

How do you fix the block of wood to your file? When I tried this approach I couldn't do that with any accuracy at all.

BugBear

bugbear":4w9hmk0z said:
Hmm. Sounds like a what you're used to kind of deal.
You think?
I'm sorry, I'm just hopelessly set in my ways.
... :wink:

bugbear":4w9hmk0z said:
How do you fix the block of wood to your file? When I tried this approach I couldn't do that with any accuracy at all.
I make the hole a very snug fit - sort of treat it like the tang of a chisel into a new handle.

Cheers, Alf

But where does one acquire Nicholsons now?

I used Nicholsons in the sharpening feature in GW 159 which should have contained a mini review of the files along with details of their availability, but it got omitted much to my dismay!
I thought they were excellent files, certainly better than most I have used over the years, with no sign of wearing prematurely and quick cutting as well.
You can get them here: (tell' em I sent you :wink: )

Cooper Tools Ltd
6 Sedling Road
Wear Industrial Estate
Washington
Tyne and Wear
NE38 9BZ
Tel: 0191 419 7700
http://www.coopertools.com

Ooh, i've just noticed, I've actually given Alf some hand tool info!
This must be a forum first and surely outstrips any mega gloating from Philly! :D :D :D

Yay! My favourite Techie Editor comes through. Ta muchly, Andy. :D 'Course I don't actually need any at the moment, and by the time I do it'll probably all have changed again, but still... BTW, I suggested to Nick Gibbs that making things a bit more in-depth in GWW would be nice (and cited the sharpening article as an example, as it happens) - so I've tried. :roll:

Cheers, Alf

andy king":lkgyq61h said:
Ooh, i've just noticed, I've actually given Alf some hand tool info!
This must be a forum first and surely outstrips any mega gloating from Philly! :D :D :D
All right, don't go mad. :roll:

I notice my name and the word "gloat" being used a lot on this forum recently-you missing my gloatage or something? :wink:
You lot keep it up and I won't be able to contain myself-don't say I didn't warn you!!!!!!!! :-s
Cheers
The Gloatster :D

Bugbear,
I bought the vallorbe set of 12 needle files from rs components for use when i did the infill kits. they are by far the best needle files i've used (expensive though) but havent tried them on saw steel as yet but from using them on other steels they are very good. they are a very fine cut
usual swiss precision
hope that helps

Ian

Back