Axminster Ultimate edge

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I gave away my Tormek after I purchased a Pro Edge. Had a PMW11 bevel up iron that took forever to grind a new bevel on the Tormek and after that I gave up.

Anyway, I have modified my Pro Edge with a 12mm bar to acchieve some functions (using Tormek jigs) seen on the Axminster version. If the axi was available when I bought my Pro Edge I would most likely have chosen that one instead but I'm very satisfied with mine after the mod, especially helps keeping angles correct when grinding wide plane irons.

Edit. Just remembered I posted those pics before, higher resolution found here post1285977.html#p1285977

5f8856b084ad742dcaa80ed7a33dfc69.jpg

Attachments

• 5f8856b084ad742dcaa80ed7a33dfc69.jpg
    5f8856b084ad742dcaa80ed7a33dfc69.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 398
ola c":2otco3zo said:
I gave away my Tormek after I purchased a Pro Edge. Had a PMW11 bevel up iron that took forever to grind a new bevel on the Tormek and after that I gave up.

Anyway, I have modified my Pro Edge with a 12mm bar to acchieve some functions (using Tormek jigs) seen on the Axminster version. If the axi was available when I bought my Pro Edge I would most likely have chosen that one instead but I'm very satisfied with mine after the mod, especially helps keeping angles correct when grinding wide plane irons.

Edit. Just remembered I posted those pics before, higher resolution found here post1285977.html#p1285977

View attachment 5
Quite good retrofitting in there !

Sent from my VKY-L09 using Tapatalk

So, I went to Axminster this morning to have a look at the machine and ended up buying it.

I played a bit with it this afternoon, and first impressions are quite positive. It seems to be well built and doesnt feel flimsy at all. The setup was fairly straightforward.

I must say I'm quite impressed by the efficiency of it. It took me a couple of minutes to regrind the primary bevel of a PMV11 blade. Was perfectly square and added a secondary bevel using the scary sharp method.

Only downside so far : the blades heat up quite quickly when you get close to the edge of the blade, so you need to have some water nearby to keep it cool.

I made a very quick sharpening station, will post a picture once google image will load the on my account... (hammer)

Cheers,
Chris.

Latest posts

Back