Axminster TS250 for first table saw?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DennisCA":yqqk3bz5 said:
Tim_H":yqqk3bz5 said:
Dear Dennis,

I think it is very unlikely that it will take Dado blades as very few saws available in the UK have a long enough table for stacking Dado blades.

You would need to tap your cast iron table to fit the upgrade fence but it is easy to do.

regards,

So maybe a stupid question, based on your reply it sounds like you can't even put a single dado in there, but how do you make dado cuts on this table saw without dado blades?

You use your router table. :D

Mick

I don't have a router and I was hoping to get along without one for a while yet. I figured if the TS would not accept a full dado set then at least I could have done like this article says and used a reduced width dado setup:
http://woodworking.about.com/od/bladesb ... orDado.htm

Would require multiple passes if I needed something wider but atleast I could do it on the TS and not require another dedicated tool. Though a router is high up there because it seems so very useful.

Tim_H":18ts4ci7 said:
Well worth a look as he has upgraded his mitre fence and built some useful accessories. I am sure most of his modifications will work with the TS250.

Good luck.

And all without a blade guard or even pushsticks!!! :shock: :shock:

Yes that bit not so good, although maybe he had removed the blade guard for illustration purposes! :D

On the dado question you can cut them on your table saw without a dado blade, using a sled and lots of passes but I use a router as it is more efficient.

I do cut them occasionally on the TS with, as you say, multiple passes. I then use a router plane to get the bottom flat.

Stanley or Record router planes are often on eBay and not too expensive.

But, if you have a lot to do or they are quite long then the TS is not the best option. I also have a rail saw and that is good for cutting long rebates.

Got a router, you know you want one. But, they are noisy and very dusty even with an extractor unless you can afford Festool.

Mick

Really I figured the TS was the best option for doing alot of them, seen some real nice setups of people cutting dadoes and long grooves quickly and efficiently using table saw dado setups, looked nicer and easier than using router tables as it seems to be able to cut away a lot more material quickly. It was part of what made me think a TS was a good first tool, for the versatility. I am no longer sure about this saw now.

Can you use a straight grooving cutter in this saw? I read someone recommend that instead of a dado cutter for achieving the same result.

Looks like they got it right here to me. TS250 is off the cards. Woodford TC10RAS is the new contender.

Dennis....you need to stop watching the New Yankee Workshop. This is the UK and stacked dado cutters are rare. There is an excellent table saw that takes them (because it has the longer arbor) called Excalibur but as I said in my earlier post, it costs best part of a grand. Even if the TS200 could accept a dado, its motor is too small to run it and it would stall in any hardwoods.

Rebates (not rabbits Norm....they are little fluffy things in fields) and housings or dado's are far more often cut with routers here in the UK. Either topside handheld or installed in a router table. If you plan to make furniture and want to use power tools, you are almost certainly going to want a router (or three).

Unless you're prepared to shell out for the Excalibur then you should forget cutting dado's in one pass on a table saw, especially a cheap model with an underpowered motor. The Excalibur is incidentally a clone of the Delta saw that Norm uses...that's why it has the longer arbor.

I'm not british either (finnish, always had a fondness for a lot of american things though) and I am indeed watching the Xcalibur model right now.

I guess the TS250 is back on, did more research and while the woodford is nice, it's apparently entierly inch based, and you don't get the nice safety features of european saws and better dust collection. So I guess the dado isn't worth all that stuff even if it's very cool piece of kit. Though I guess I shouldn't be too hasty in deciding, seems there's always something new to learn.

The Excalibur range of saws are infinitely superior to the TS250 Dennis. There is no comparison unless either budget or space are major considerations for you. They operate in different market places altogether. The Excalibur (which is a Delta Unisaw clone) has the horse power and industrial features for a small commercial joinery workshop whereas the TS range is squarely aimed at the hobbyist.

I am looking at the smaller model for £520 though (10" Tilting Arbor Table Saw - TC10RAS), not the large cabinet so it's closer to the TS250 budget wise. Power wise the excalibur is 1.5hp and the axminster is 2hp.

Righto. I'm referring to the Delta Unisaw clone, not that smaller model. I'm not sure of the model number of the Unisaw clone without doing a tour of Woodford. I am definitely biased against the TS range though because I owned one and really hated it on pretty much every level. It was just awful. But other people seem to get on with it so its about personal choice in the end I guess. In my view it simply wasn't fit for purpose, underpowered and unacceptable precision of the tables.

Righto. I'm referring to the Delta Unisaw clone, not that smaller model. I'm not sure of the model number of the Unisaw clone without doing a tour of Woodford. I am definitely biased against the TS range though because I owned one and really hated it on pretty much every level. It was just awful. But other people seem to get on with it so its about personal choice in the end I guess. In my view it simply wasn't fit for purpose, underpowered and unacceptable precision of the tables.

Hmmm well if a 2hp motor is not enough then i wonder about a 1.5hp motor as is found in the woodford, esp if one wants to use a dado blade. But maybe there's more to it than just HP.

DennisCA":3cdez1vz said:
Hmmm well if a 2hp motor is not enough then i wonder about a 1.5hp motor as is found in the woodford, esp if one wants to use a dado blade. But maybe there's more to it than just HP.

There are different ways of measuring and quoting horsepower so specs are not always directly comparable

Turns out the info on the woodford site is obsolete, specs might well be obsolete too. There's apparently a new woodford site and they just left the old one hanging. New site has no TC10RAS saw or anything like it, will be interesting to see what if anything they got to replace the TC10RAS.

DennisCA":2oqmrvo3 said:
Turns out the info on the woodford site is obsolete, specs might well be obsolete too. There's apparently a new woodford site and they just left the old one hanging. New site has no TC10RAS saw or anything like it, will be interesting to see what if anything they got to replace the TC10RAS.
If that saw is the old contractor style saw? Woodford have an ebay shop and were selling them via that not so long ago.

EDIT

Is it this one?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Table-Saw-10- ... 2587ec587d

Latest posts

Back