Axminster TS250 Blade tilt limitation

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichardG

If at first you don’t succeed have a cup of tea.
Reaction score
I went to make some 45 degree cuts today but couldn’t get past 35 degrees. Puzzled as I know I have cut bevels before I started to remove the dust box I fitted underneath when I found that raising the blade allowed the 45 degrees to be achieved. Having now had a look inside the blade guard hose outlet is fouling the casing, see pictures. This must be a limitation of design as I can’t see anyway round it except modifying the guard. Can any other TS250 owners confirm that theirs is the same, ie you have to raise the blade to 50mm in order to get 45 degrees.

Thanks

Richard

IMG_20190717_145840.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20190717_145840.jpg
    IMG_20190717_145840.jpg
    228.4 KB · Views: 430
I think most on here, myself included have removed the blade guard hose outlet and extract the debris from the underside of the TS250 with a big mouth duct available from Axminster, also I don't use it to cut angles either I prefer to use a router table.

Pic shows the saw upside down, but you get the idea:

Duct.jpg

Attachments

• Duct.jpg
    Duct.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 401
Thanks for the reply, I have lost the hose and have a collector underneath but the flange where the hose use to connect still hits the frame. As a quick fix I took a pair of pliers to it.....I just can’t believe I didn’t have this issue at the start.

030E1581-5CFD-4179-B89F-EA100B66074D.jpeg

Richard

Attachments

• 030E1581-5CFD-4179-B89F-EA100B66074D.jpeg
    030E1581-5CFD-4179-B89F-EA100B66074D.jpeg
    885.3 KB · Views: 383
One thing you can do if you are considering a 'big mouth'is to block up the vertically downward facing port - shown in Mike's photo - and then open a new port in the vertical 'slab' face. This enables you to plug in/on a hose directly at the back and stops guddling about on your knees under the saw. Been done on here for an AGS dust trap. Good call.

Sam

Edit: having written the above, I still think a blade guard extractir is oodles more efficient than a cabinet/big mouth device. Have a butchers for - I think - PeteG from Scandavia, who created a superb one for his AGS. Nary a mote of dust got by it. On Youtube.

Or you can duct it to a convenient place and attach you chip extractor and then make an overhead crown guard and join it all up.

Duct 2.jpg

Overhead.jpg

EDIT: I'll see your edit and up you mine, I agree an overhead extract point correctly designed stops the majority of dust:

Blade guard.jpg

Attachments

• Duct 2.jpg
    Duct 2.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 356
  • Overhead.jpg
    Overhead.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 334
  • Blade guard.jpg
    Blade guard.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 333
No. The mod I was referring to was an under table one. Blade guard add ons like the last photo are not needed. Adjusting your saw properly negates the need for these . See the youtube video referred to for proof.

Sam

Sammy Yes, if you care to watch some of those u-tube video's your so fond of and slow them down, you will see most of the dust gets caught in the gullet of the blade and is thrown forward above the table, if the overhead blade guards are not needed with the modifications you describe, I am sure there is a market out there you can exploit, this modification is obviously far cleverer than all the manufacturers and the Health and Safety Executive please contact them immediately and give them the benefit of this insight.

Mike, "your mileage may vary"?? Remember?

I find a properly adjusted fence and good tight zero clearance plate prevents dust ejection. Your setup may generate overblade dust and you need an extra suck there. Mine doesn't.

The H&S reference you made baffles me; there is NO proscribed need for O/H extraction; it is a possiblity given circunstances, not an absolute requirement.

Sam

Yes I do remember, you always have a contrary view, remind's me of a chap on TV who always said "You don't want to do it like that"

Your reference to a properly adjusted fence baffles me, can't see how that help dust extraction, and the HSE reference was to the need for an overhead guard, if you have to have one it makes sense to put an extract on it.

So let's see some pictures of your system?

Mike, my Wadkin saw is presently in storage and I'm using a track saw in an 'emergency only' fashion. For complicated medical reasons, that is unlikely to change soon.
I have limited photos of the dust hood, unfinished, as I did not record the completed item. I am away from home until Thursday, so I will hunt them out and post what little I have then.
I will also try to locate the (much better) mods I referred to and post links to them.
Sam

Sam,

I couldn’t find the mods you mentioned on YouTube so if you can post a link that would be interesting.

The issue I have with the big mouth under cabinet collection is that it doesn’t stop the dust collecting on the two main screw threads which eventually gum up and then it’s a pain to clean. Collecting the dust at source always makes more sense so an improved direct blade collection underneath would be good, it’s just making something that keeps the blade shrouded at all heights and angles. A plunge saw is a good example of a shrouded blade but even with this there is still a fair bit of dust although I accept there is no zero clearance plate. So I do tend to agree with Mike that an overhead collection is also useful and you may as well as the guard is there anyway....but as ever the proof is in the pudding!

Richard

Richard, with the modifications as shown above, including a ZCI I don't get any dust or gumming up of the screw threads, I have a 2000m3/hr chip extractor connected to it, which seem to suit it well.

EDIT: don't be fooled by a ZCI they only work well with the blade at full extension, as soon as you lower the blade it's not zero clearance anymore, but does clear the gullet more effectively.

Back