axminster ts 200 basic table saw some advice please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mac1012

Established Member
Reaction score
hi i looking to get a table saw as the rocking horses i make have lots of repeat straight parts , i have never had a table saw , at the moment i ussing hegner but want to speed up the process

so here goes would i be able to cut lentghs between 6 and 14 inch long 22mm thick ? or is this not feasable ? ( i mean length to short not thickness)
are these saws fairly straight forward or not to use as i bit worried about spending money on something i cannot use

is this a good saw for money ? seen some favourable reviews so anyone who has got one some feedback would be great

Failing this i opting for bandsaw but wouldnt be able to cross cut as acuratley as table saw as legs need to be dead flat

thanks for any help

mark

There is another thread on here Mark, from the last couple of days, where the suggestion is that the current list price for the TS200 is quite steep. It would cut 22mm pine, with ease.

I do think that you would find a bandsaw more useful though. Steve Maskery will be able to confirm whether there is a crosscut jig for the bandsaw on one of the workshop essentials dvd's. I am not quite sure what you mean about the legs being dead flat.

yeah seen that thread thanks but not much help to me , i mean dead straight and flat which is hard to obtain consistentley on hegner it has four legs onto flat base so being straight and flat is important thats why i was thinking table saw with sliding cross cut , been thinking of axminster 250 model which for my thicknessess of wood would be adequate could i achieve parrallell cuts with bandsaw for the leg lentghs and then the cross cut on bandsaw i could probably sacrifice not being as accurate for the top and bottom of legs

the band saw would be good for cutting out rockers but fancied saw bench as lot repeat parts for body and legs etc and could batch cut for say x 3 horses

its a shame that it is 14" stuff you are trying to cut, or you could have gone with a chop saw. seems just a bit too much though, and they seem generally to go to 12".

I have an earlier Axminster saw that looks like a basic version of the TS200

I rip and cross-cut all sorts and sizes of stuff on it.

A home-made sled for cross cutting is worth the short time needed for construction, and makes repetitive cutting to size a doddle (and safer)

After investing in a top quality Freud blade, the surface finish from the saw is pretty well ready for sanding in most cases.

Hi Mark
6" long is way too short to rip on the TS, if that is what I understand you want to do. It would be asking for trouble. 14" is OK to rip on a standard 8 or 10" TS.

As for crosscutting, there is no such restriction. On the BS, however, you are restricted by the diameter of the wheels. You can't xcut 14" on a 14" BS, but you might squeeze it out of a 16" machine. 18" BS, no problem.

As t'other mark says, there is a x-cut jig on WE5. It was designed for cutting the shoulders of tenons, but could just as easily be used for general x-cutting repeatably.

I have to say that if I were buying a saw to build rocking horses, I'd buy a big BS and forget about a TS altogether. If the BS is set up properly, it will rip straight, but you also have the bonus of being able to cut all the curves, too.

Cheers
Steve

Hi thanks for replies I am am leaning towards getting a band saw and a chop saw to cut the end grain widths , I been looking at axminster base model as wood I cut is soft and max depth is 42mm and I haven't got room for larger

Back