Axminster Trade Series AT1416VS or Jet JWL-1221VS Woodturnin

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It depends if loosing the capacity of length or rotating headstock are an issue, neither of those have either rotation or the same length.

The Jet uses a noisier DC brushed motor, the Axi uses a 3 phase induction with converter to give better torque at slower speeds.

I had the 1416vs and loved it, quiet, powerful and well made. The next one up, the 1628vs is nearly double the money. But all these are trade rated.

If yours is working well, to upgrade you will have to compromise on length or rotation.

To maintain length you would have to drop down to the hobby series, rated at 2 hours a week, or go for a record CL series, either 3 or 4, or one of the other various brands available.

Phil

Phil

I never use the full length of the lathe I have now, and am very limited in workshop space.
I also never use the rotating head.

I can also rule out any record power products, so I will look at what Axminster can offer, or second-hand is an option.

Why did Jet use a DC motor? What does this offer?

I have decided on the axi one
it has a 3 year warranty
jet has 1 year
u can always get a bed extension later

Steve

I took the afternoon off to have a drive to Nuneaton to have a look at what Axminster have.
Unfortunately traffic on the M6 was stationary, as was the traffic on the parallel A road, so didn't make it.
I may try again this weekend.

In the meantime, I would be grateful for stories of anyone's personal experiences with either of the two lathes - good and bad.

The 3 phase brushless motor is likely to need less maintenance. My 1628 has worked flawlessly since I have had it which is only since November last year.

I had a look at both of these yesterday, as I'm mulling the same choice. My tuppence worth is that the Axi looked and felt cheaply made, a bit crude even. I reckon all the budget goes on the motor, very little on the castings and machining.

Jet looks much better made, and innovative. The width of the beds is similar to their much larger machines and should make it a seriously solid bit of kit.

The banjo on both were good and solid, the cam on the Axi felt a little more positive but both were fine.

I found my 1416vs to be well cast and finished. The motor on the Jet sounded like an old washing machine, instead of the purr of the three phase induction on the Axi. The Axi motor also gives better torque at lower revs.

So yes, extra is put to the motor, but I don't think to the detriment of the castings. Bolted to a bench, there is absolutely no movement from the Axi turning an off balance chunk of beech to make a13" bowl, so how much more stability could you ask for?

Why don't Jet have the confidence to add at least a two year warranty, as Axi offer three on theirs. I really think there are plusses and minuses for both, and if either gave Axi's motor, over bed capacity, and warranty, and Jets length and bed section there would be a no brainer. As it is, I would still drop on the side of the Axi.

My opinion, that's all

Phil

Managed to get to Axminster today.
As always they were very helpful, and no hard sell.

Amazed how quiet the 1416vs is, but neither that or the Jet 'did it' for me.
I think I am looking for something a little more substantial.

Very impressed with the 1628vs, but can't justify that sort of expense for the small amount of turning I do.

I think I will either keep with my M900, or look for a second hand lathe as an upgrade - maybe a Union Graduate.

The 1628 is my current lathe and I can honestly say I will probably never have to replace it. I don't at present have the bed extension, but my line is more bowls, boxes and shorter (mainly 16-18") spindle turning. With the rotating headstock I can do bowls up to 20" which is great, as bigger than that are just too large for most peoples coffee table.

I did say there would be a compromise, so either of your first choices doesn't really represent an upgrade, the 1628 does, but I purchased mine in December, when it was £150 cheaper, and realise its a fair whack to spend on a machine used occasionally.

Phil

Hi all, I am truly surprised that anyone would think the Ax trade lathes where not well fettled, I have a 1628 and its just superb, not pretty or glamorous with nice colours whatever but its an absolute beast in all the positive meanings of the word. As someone else has already stated Ive had mine around a year its my 4th lathe and I seriously doubt I will ever have to replace it, its used an average of 3 days a week 8 hrs a day. I dont own a 1416 but have heard nothing but good things of them. Just my tuppence worth.
Rend.

I didn't mean to put the 1416vs down. It is probably a very good lathe.
I just want something more substantial. I didn't realise this until I looked at the 1416.

The 1628vs is solid. It ticked all the boxes - apart from the price.
I don't think it is overpriced. I just think twice before spending that sort of money on anything.

renderer01":1yh67k3j said:
Hi all, I am truly surprised that anyone would think the Ax trade lathes where not well fettled, I have a 1628 and its just superb, not pretty or glamorous with nice colours whatever but its an absolute beast in all the positive meanings of the word. As someone else has already stated Ive had mine around a year its my 4th lathe and I seriously doubt I will ever have to replace it, its used an average of 3 days a week 8 hrs a day. I dont own a 1416 but have heard nothing but good things of them. Just my tuppence worth.
Rend.

Hi Rend, glad to see you getting some time on the beast :)

ian_in_the_midlands":33j39avp said:
The 1628vs is solid. It ticked all the boxes - apart from the price.
I don't think it is overpriced. I just think twice before spending that sort of money on anything.

If you can find anyone around you with one, it would be well worth having a go on it for 1/2 an hour, also on a jubilee. You will find the variable speed the convincer.

Phil

I finally bought a lathe and went with the Jet 1221vs in the end.
Another visit to Axminster last week and could not justify the extra £200 for the AT14516VS.

I thought I would have a look at this old post to see how long it has taken me to part with my money - nearly 3 years!
Not bad for me.

I need to finish the bench for it now before | can use it :(.

Back