Axminster Trade lathes Middle or High versions

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simon_M

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm considering an AT2030VS, and using the extension (as an outrigger) for workpieces that are up to 24" diameter, occasionally. AT1624VS and extension is too long for me.

Most turners probably never turn anything the full length of their lathe's capacity.

I've been saying for several years that the Record Maxi is the best value for money & the outboard turning rest would probably suit you. You may get one thrown in along with delivery at one of the Record shows.

I didn't know the extension mounting holes were at different heights. There are two sets of holes on each end, one for a bed extension & the other to increase capacity. I thought that they were the same but I'll check later.

The point of the 2 speeds is that the lower set provides more torque for those who want to remove wood quickly such as production bowl turners.

Simon_M":qt7wrc19 said:
Sorry if this seems like "how long is a piece of string". And, I know the Axminster products got a name change makeover recently - but I still equate the models with their old model names. FWIW I think the lathes are unchanged except for a sticker update e.g. same spec and same manufacturer in Taiwan.

Afraid that I doubt anyone can give any meaningful comment about what you have purchased and whether you have made the right decision.

We do not know what you turn, how much you turn, whether it's just a hobby or if it's your main source of income.

If as I suspect it's just a hobby then I'm afraid your original post reads as though you are more concerned about the 'status' of your equipement than what is absolutely essential to manufacture your particular turned pieces profile.

It's a bit like which car should I buy, one with 4 wheels that gets me from A to B or a top of the range XXX. for a hobbyist or a retired person then it's down to which you can afford and which will give you the most pleasure to operate balanced against other life's priorities.

If it's for your main income then your original product specification profile that drove your purchase should have covered all your needs.

12.5 Years ago I blew my pocket money allowance on a third hand 9 year old machine at the right price, It has its limitations on the design front and it looks dated by todays bright and shiny offerings but it serves me well and did what I needed then and still does now, it's of such a design that spares if ever needed should be available off the shelf or replacements easily made in house.

I think you need to stop and assess what it is you actually NEED, and move on to enhancing the quality of your work output & working routine. That's where the ultimate pleasure factor is likely to be, not how shiny the machine is in the shed.

Remember, it does not matter how much you spend on a machine, if it has propriety electronic controls it's usable lifespan is likely to be the lifespan of the electronics and the spares backing from source, the durability or suitability in the future of the mechanics is not likely to be the limiting life factor.

After all the considerations of what Chas stated above have you ever thought about The Stratos lathe the extension can be moved from the end to the side by using the clip on additional piece?

I would like to upgrade to a larger lathe but not because I want to turn a lot of larger pieces but to accommodate the style of turning that I would like to do which my present lathe is not suitable for.

Sorry - I have a tendency to waffle on. It's a hobby, so I try to keep costs under control. Two projects I would really like to attempt are turned legs (28”- 30”) for dining room tables and wooden (wool) spinning wheels (15”-24”). I should have said this upfront. Neither lathe can manage the projects without the bed extension and for many other projects the lathe capacity isn't a concern, anyway.

Latest posts

Back