AXMINSTER TRADE AT325PD BENCH PILLAR DRILL

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thedog

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am looking at buying new bench pillar drill mainly to be used for woodworking and occasional light metal and other material use.
I have some Axminster vouchers which will go a long way towards this purchase.

My questions is really, how good (or bad) is the Axminster Trade AT325PD pillar drill?
I know that for the same cost, a second hand Meddings M4 or similar would be a better buy, but I have the vouchers and need a bench drill.

Any reviews or opinions on this drill would be helpful.
Of course I could buy something else from Axminster but I need a drill (or the trade bobbin sander AT152OVS / disc sander or other items.)

Does anyone here have this drill or sander and can give a real first hand review or advice.

Thanks

You will not get the same build quality as an old machine such as a Meddings or Ajax but then you will probably not be working it hard most days in a production enviroment and the one you have picked is a so called "trade rated". You will need a bench to put that model on otherwise you will need a floor standing version and I would go to the shop and take a look at it in the flesh, Axminster cannot be far from you in Cornwall and I would say it is worth the effort because nothing beats seeing and feeling a machine. It can also take morse taper drills which can be handy, especially with metal.

Hi, Roy,

Thanks for your reply. That's a good point about the Morse taper drill bits, forgot about that. May come in handy in the future maybe.
Yes, other more traditional makes of course produce better tools but its mainly because I have the vouchers and need a drill :) Normally I would look at other options. I don't think its a bad tool and certainly much better than lots of other low end sub £150 offerings. But then its horses for courses, budgets, use and lots of other reasons to consider. I had a very old Clarke pillar drill I bought in the late 80's for £39 new. It was very low end and poor quality but served its purpose for 20+ years until someone stole it! (Done me a favour really).

Thanks

Hi,

I have used a slightly older version of that bobbin sander and seem to remember it did the job without much fuss. I don’t recall any issues with it apart from it sometimes feeling a bit ‘tinny’. If that makes sense?

As for a disc sander, I have an earlier version of the Axminster AC300DS (which is identical to the new one, just a different model number) and have been very impressed. It’s a solid piece of kit and has been used regularly without many issues. The manual brake wore out but a replacement was available (although a bit awkward to fit), and I fitted a Velcro disc once the original wore out for easier changing. Lots of cast iron and decent power.

I haven’t used that particular pillar drill but I have just bought a Bosch PBD 40 bench drill and am really pleased with it. I paid about £240 delivered. Plenty of power and electronic speed adjustment. Also, with the whole drill head moving it means that there is a much larger bed to clamp work onto. I’ve not had it long but it’s a huge improvement over my previous cheapy one.

I no longer have the bobbin sander but I do have the disc sander and drill so can answer questions if needed. Hope this helps.

Hello,

I am looking at buying new bench pillar drill mainly to be used for woodworking and occasional light metal and other material use.
I have some Axminster vouchers which will go a long way towards this purchase.

My questions is really, how good (or bad) is the Axminster Trade AT325PD pillar drill?
I know that for the same cost, a second hand Meddings M4 or similar would be a better buy, but I have the vouchers and need a bench drill.

Any reviews or opinions on this drill would be helpful.
Of course I could buy something else from Axminster but I need a drill (or the trade bobbin sander AT152OVS / disc sander or other items.)

Does anyone here have this drill or sander and can give a real first hand review or advice.

Thanks
I know you have the vouchers but Amazon has the drill Mellor mentions for £235, link attached
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bosch-parallel-quick-lock-clamps-cardboard/dp/B00766C1A8

Today (New Years Eve), it's £274.99. I'm pretty sure it went up since this morning. Not just on Amazon - Robert Dyas has increased exactly the same from £234.99 yesterday. These price increases are getting out of hand. Supply & demand eh?

Hi,

Yes, I do like the Bosch drill and have this on my list of goodies to buy at some point in the future but initially I am looking for a larger more conventional bench model. I actually like some of the features of the Bosch and it would be a nice have the electronic speed control and direct drive. The SCHEPPACH DP60 is similar but I think the Bosch seems far better maybe. I also like the Nova models but they tend to be just too expensive and all though have some really nice features, I am not sure what benefits they would give for the extra cost.

I have also spotted the JET JDP-15B but again very expensive but looks really good and maybe worth the cost. (I posted another tread about this).

Thanks again, any view or opinions about this does help.

Today (New Years Eve), it's £274.99. I'm pretty sure it went up since this morning. Not just on Amazon - Robert Dyas has increased exactly the same from £234.99 yesterday. These price increases are getting out of hand. Supply & demand eh?

Yeah, I saw it as well. The price jumped by about £40 over night, and I thought to myself, I can no longer justify buying it anymore.
I think there is an eBay UK seller still selling them for £240.

Strange that Bosch is not making Blue version of this drill for the professionals. Green Bosch tool are all for DIY home use only.

I have that drill press - its absolutely fine, does everything I ask of it. Just be aware its blimmin' heavy - just about a one man lift, but would be a lot easier with help!

Back