Axminster Tools 2003 Show?!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sawdustalley

Established Member
Reaction score
Just wondering, who is planning to go?

I'm going to be wondering round on friday and saturdays shows - sounds amazing, although I have never been before!

Hope I dont end up with a hole in my wallet. :shock:

Hopefully i'll be able to put some pictures of the show up on my site, a sort of "Showcase" for thoose of you who missed it.

Who knows, there might even be some other things on my site.... :wink:

Saturday eh? Ah, I can see it now. The eager Brits all craning for a glimpse of The Bearded One, hoping to catch his eye. I mean it's obvious, isn't it? He's only come over in order to pick out an assistant. Yep, one of you will walk into Westpoint as a woodworker, and come out A STAR! :lol:

As it is, if I make it at all, it'll be on Friday. I suppose a look at dust extractors would be of advantage, but more likely to be hanging around the Clifton and L-N stands. :oops: (You'll be able to recognise me; I'll be the one with the drool... Oh, hang on, that's no good, 'cos everyone does that!] And the competition entries are always worth a look of course, even if you do end up sobbing at your own inadequate efforts. Well I do, anyway. :?

Cheers, Alf

Yup i am going on saturday ,gotta get up very early it's at least a 10 min drive for me :lol: .

That's not fair - it's a full 30 mins for me :D. Where you coming from AB?

Looking forward to it. I'm glad I'm booked the tickets ahead - saved a total of ... 0p. Very generous of them.

Cheers

Gidon

Commin from Exeter first time going to this show though . Bank balance is not looking good at the mo new car arriving 14/10/03 probably look a lot worse after the show :lol: . But what the hell i cant resist a bargain and its a good chance to see all that lovely kit (dribble n drewl) :lol:

I've yet to find a real bargain at these shows. But I still enjoy them. And living in the South West it's the only chance you get to actually see something in the flesh, rather than looking at pictures.

But I had better prepare the bank balance none-the-less.

Cheers

Gidon

Late breaking news; I shall definitely be going on Friday. Seeing that Rob Cosman was doing a handcut dovetail demo clinched it for me. :D (Yep, I'm just as much a "famous" woodworker groupie as the next wood torturer. :lol: )

Cheers, Alf

Just got back with a load of bessey clamps and a grands worth of leccy beckum kit. Excellent show and those able to attend will not be disapointed :D

Just got back from Exeter too. A good show in my opinion, and the dovetailing lecture was excellent. How I managed to come away without buying a Titemark gauge and L-N saw after it is a miracle! :lol: Got to speak to David Charlesworth this year (makes a change), stumbled upon Andy King giving some router cutter refurbishment advice "on the hoof" and Tom L-N was a real gent; rather than just signing the box of the #103 block I bought, he engraved his signature on the side too. Just how cool is that?! :D (No, I didn't go insane spending money. :p That was it. 8) ) Had a good natter with the Clifton guy, but managed to resist - somehow. Oh, and couldn't help chuckling at James' further advance on the woodworking world domination in the shape of flyers advertising Sawdustalley.co.uk on the GMC stand. Nice one, James. :D BTW, Woodrat were there if anyone wanted to catch a demo before the price rise. All that, and a spy thriller-type drop yesterday to get anobium punctatum united with some goodies he bought off me. We didn't actually flash headlights and then exchange in the middle of a bridge though; more like waving and then narrowly avoiding getting run over in the middle of the road! :lol: Phew! Two days? Feels like I've been gone a week.

Cheers, Alf

Nice summary Alf - I'm looking forward to going tomorrow. I didn't think woodrat were going so that's a bonus - I wanted to have a good look at this before the price rise.
Cheers
Gidon

Hi Gidon

I have just read the review of the LittleRat, which has just had a major update. Apparently big brother hasn't been updated yet.

It's in the December/January issue of 'The Router'.

Cheers
Neil

You lot are making me so sick....
Thursday morning 4.30 AM, fall out of bed and fall into the car to get to Belfast Airport for 6 ish. 70 mph and thinking "what a great day ahead of me, land in Bristol, hop into the hire car and batter down the M5 to Westpoint, be there for 9.30, coffee and bacon butty". 40 miles from the airport BANG, front tyre blows out. No problemo, 5 mins to change the wheel, still make the plane. Whip the boot open, throw the spare wheel out, go back to get the jack and brace. JACK AND BRACE!!!! These rather important items appear to be invisable...It IS pitch dark, must be in there somewhere. Get a lighter out and have a further poke about. You guessed it...Jack abd Wheel Brace are on holiday, out to lunch, in a meeting but NOT in my car. Phone Easyjet, plane might be very delayed.."No Sir, everything is on schedule" Typical, when I'm late they are on time, when I'm on time they are late....Brain(ish) wave - try and wave down the next oncoming car. For strange reason not alot of people want to stop for some madman flailing his arms about in the dark. After 30 mins of jumping up and down, swearing and shouting at cars a guy stops. He has a jack but has he a wheel brace? Noooo, why would he carry a wheel brace????
Anyway finally got a kindly bloke to help me. By this time it was 9.00 AM and the plane left at 7.00 AM. Oh, did I mention that the police stopped to help too? Their wheel brace didn't fit but they took a mild (thank goodness) interest in my spare tyre ( a wee bit worse for wear, sure that's why it's my spare officer....)
So, on the road again and talking to the nice lady at Easyjet - "all flights to Bristol are full" What about Friday? "return flight is at 3.00PM" not worth it. Me thinks - well that's that. can't go on Saturday - kids and wife reasons.
So I hope all who went to Tools 2003 really enjoyed themselves........
Just have to make up for it next year and spend 3 days there.. and of course not a penny from Easyjet or the carhire people....
Rant over.

Rgds

Noel

Noel!

Oh man, that's AWFUL!!! You poor, poor woodworker. :cry: And there I was picturing you cleaning out the good buys yesterday, too. That would account for why there was still something left I s'pose... But as you say, there's always next year. Kind of ironic that it should be a lack of tools that prevented you getting to Tools 2003 though, you have to admit. Who says the tool gods don't like a good laugh as well as the next deity? :?

Cheers, Alf

Noely check under your bed if there is a jack and brace and a box of 100 nails with 1 missing i am guessing you other half wanted to keep the credit card free for christmas or she does not want a new ww tools again :lol:

Noel - nightmare! Maybe next year it'll be in Belfast(!)

Thanks Neil - I will probably get The Router - didn't know it was out yet. The Littlerat is actually a better buy pre-price-rise than the big'un. But in between trying to catch a glimpse of Norm I will see if the Woodratters will give me a demo tomorrow.

Cheers

Gidon

Latest posts

Back