Axminster Tools 2003 Show?!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks all...think maybe some retail therapy is in order. Tool shop therapy.
Make sure the show reports keep coming in and for those who have been before - better facilties than last year at Shepton Mallet?

Rgds

Noel

Hi Noel

That is just dreadful. You must be feeling awful. :cry: :cry: :cry:

I think a trip to one of the tool shops, this very afternoon, is definitely in order. :wink: :wink: :wink:

Cheers
Neil

Oh Noel :( :( :( .

I'm not sure that I agree that a trip to a local tool shop is the most beneficial course of remedial action. If all that had happened to me I'd be taking a trip to the local off-licence instead :wink: :roll:!

Yours

Gill

Hardlines Noel, I didn`t go this year :cry: , spent out after
buying a Tormek 8)

How does the new venue compare to Shepton Mallet?

Bigger smaller?

Whats the car parking and acess like?

Whats the exhibits like this year, mindblowing?

Just got back from the show did not buy too much but had a good look at some future purchases . Stands were very close to each other and with the volume of people you found yourself fighting to stay in one spot to see demo's and tools . I was suprised to find a couple of manufacturers (big players) not there, was hoping schepp would be there as i wanted to see some of their kit in the flesh . The people on the stands were very helpful showing and explaining kit in good detail .Well i must have spent about £20,000 in my mind today :lol: . The other people i went with spent a small fortune but said it was not as good as last year but there were still new toys to see . Hoping to go again next year and i should finish my new workshop by then and clear some space on the old plastic :D . Anyway it was a good day out and well worth it .

Hi, I got back today - went to the show on Fri & Sat

GREAT :D I will be writing an article on SDA (Incl. Photos!)

You know what, the people at Bessey clamps sold over 2 tonnes worth !!! :lol:

...and Guess who I have photos of :arrow: :idea:

Jester, I had cards lying around all over the place. Some on the information desks, and also lurking on the white powertools stand I think.

I coldn't make it to the show but I know several people were intending to take a look at the new Axminster cast iron table P/T. Did anyone get a chance have a play with this and if so would they like to pass on any comments, especially WRT the Schappech HMS260?

Thanks,

Andrew

Andrew
I had the Axminster p/t demo'ed. I have to say I wasn't too impressed. The finish of the machine left a lot to be desired. It certainly felt like it had been built to a price.
The finish on some pine was ok - but not very good test and it doesn't have rubber coated infeed rollers like the Scheppach.
I have the Scheppach 260 and would say that it is worth the extra - especially since it's been around for so long and spare parts are available. And the finish on the Scheppach itself is far superior in my opinion. I know Andy tested it for GW so he may have some comments on details of the machine that are hard to gauge at a show.
Cheers
Gidon

Andrew/Gidon,

Yep, I tested the planer in issue 143, (on sale end Nov, plug plug :D )
I thought for the price it was good value, cast iron and a three knife block.
Some of the adjusting handles are pretty poor and at 1100 watt it is less powerful than the other entry level models. Even so, I put some 220mm sapele through the thicknesser and the finish was very good. The serrated infeed roller didn't seem to be a problem, although on softer timbers they are prone to clogging. (access is good for maintenence though)
The fence on ours was slightly bowed which is a problem, but it may be a one off. I had a closer look at the fence and it seems it is made from two extrusions clipped together which is where the problem arises. A single extrusion is better, but obviously part of the cost cutting.
I think at the price it is good. I would be inclined to upgrade the handles etc. for a smoother ride and if the fence can't be sorted, fit a false one.
Please feel free to send donations to Good Woodworking Magazine for the condensed review! :D

Andy

Andy,

when is the next edition going to hit the newsstands. I am leaning towards the Scheppach but would like to read this before taking the plunge. I have not come across anyone who has used the Scheppach and not liked it (although there must be someone out there). I would always prefer to pay a little more than save a bit and regret the decision.

Liked the Supersaw review but think its a bit big for a single garage so will probably end up with the Scheppach TS2000 instead.

Thanks again for your input,

Andrew

Thanks Andy - always interested to hear about these new machines.

Andrew - I have the TS2000 too if you need to know anything about it. Overall an excellent saw. And amazing how big you can actually cut with it with all the bits attached. Not that I wouldn't like something even bigger if I had the space! For me the fine adjustments on the Scheppach table saws are a real treat - I haven't seen anything close on the competing models in that respect.

Cheers

Gidon

Gidon,

I took a look at D&M when down in Twickenham a couple of weeks ago to try and get a feel for the options with respect to table saws. Much as I would like to consider something like the Jet since I am working in a single garage I do need something that can be easily moved to one side to free up space for other equipment. The TS2000 seems to be a good bet. So, a couple of questions about it if you don?t mind.

The one D&M had in their showroom had a distinctly rough movement on the table, certainly compared to some of the others that they had on display. I could see no obvious reason for this but assumed that it was just poorly set up or much abused. Is the table action on yours as smooth as you would expect?

One of the reasons that I am not looking at any of the smaller saws is that from time to time (and quite a lot at the moment) need to rip sheets into 600mm wide pieces. I have seen several packages on this saw which include the side extension table but the Scheppach brochure shows it as being capable of taking several of these. Question is: how many do I need to be able to put 600mm sheet through? The sliding fence seems to be big enough to cross-cut the resulting piece.

Perhaps we should move this discussion over to ?Buying Advice?

Andrew

Back