AXMINSTER TO PREMIER AT WOODMEX 2006

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ProShop

Established Member
Reaction score
Perhaps the real reason Axminster show has been axed.

they've already booked for wait for it..........................wait..........

WOODMEX 2006

LOOK HERE

12th down the list.

So mystery solved :D :D :D :D

The cost of exhibiting at the NEC ain't cheap, so something has had to give.

It's probably because they have the agencies for Lamello (who were on last year, used to be on JKO's stand), CMT (who do a lot of industrial CNC tooling), OMAS (again tooling, this time spindle) and only possibly Jet (although I think their stuff is a bit lightweight by Woodmex's standards).

I've been to Woodmex a number of times and I would emphasise that it's pretty much a trade event with only a few stands selling anything - you can't exactly stick a Biesse Milleneum CNC router in your back pocket and go home with it! If you are in the trade a good, if tiring, day looking at all the stuff you can't afford until it's secondhand - about 10 years down the road - and a chance to renew acquantances with all the other guys in the trade you've met over the years.

Scrit

Scrit":2srcosws said:
It's probably because they have the agencies for Lamello (who were on last year, used to be on JKO's stand), CMT (who do a lot of industrial CNC tooling), OMAS (again tooling, this time spindle) and only possibly Jet (although I think their stuff is a bit lightweight by Woodmex's standards).

Pretty much spot on Scit - thanks, saved me typing - don't forget Rojek though as well - 'Rojek = Woodmex material through and through'

All said and done, ref. earlier threads and comments - If you have the time I believe W.mex would make a very interesting day out for most here (Not every day you can see a tree turned into a kitchen in 4 mins by a £1,000,000 machine) - It is open to both trade and public now.

Sales on the day to 'end-users' (no disrespect intended) - definitely, that's how most exhibitors justify the short term cost of their stands. There is a very good selection of medium-high end machinery on display. Far more than most other 'National shows'

Hardware section is also very comprehensive, and in fairness most focus at the show is on re-sale accounts - but if anything takes your fancy, at least you can get info. on which retailers sell it if you needed to buy user quantities in the future.

As said, I'd say 'yes' if you have the time - completely different from most shows.

PS - TC - If you read this, gut guess is 40% of Jet, maybe 10% of Rojek is currently sold to 'people who clog shows up with wives and kids' - We have no issues with whoever turns up, as they will potentially buy. W.Mex 04 was for most stands worthwhile for most because people turned up and bought - trade/hobby has a very blurred line as far as many suppliers are concerned - all are welcome. Maybe you would like to walk around in isolation and look at machines?, Exhibitors would prefer anyone who is a potential customer. Even Koln has now become 'end user' to boost sales - the market tends to dictate things I think.

I'd imagine most posters on this site are fairly 'into' their woodwork anyway, by virtue of registering and being here - The type of people we want to see.

Anyway,

Cheers all,

Nick
Jet

Hi Nick

Sorry, forgot you'd taken on Rojek :oops: As to the show without "wives, kids or too many members of the public" - that was always one of the plusses for members the trade going to Woodmex (a day away from the family), but with so many of the big players now struggling to sell into an ever-diminishing industrial/commercial WW sector I suppose it was inevitable. I'm just surprised that the big players (with their megabuck automated stuff) are happy with it.

Scrit

Scrit":35wozcwg said:
I'm just surprised that the big players (with their megabuck automated stuff) are happy with it.

Scrit

Scrit, They probably are not happy.

Times change though, and organisers of shows these days need as many bodies through the door as possible - to re-assure the exhibitors that the high prices they pay for stand space are worthwhile.

Best cynical regards on a friday night. :wink:

Cheers

Nick

I posted this after last years show. (Thanks Chris for digging it out :)) it's a brief review of what was on offer at WoodMex 2004. If you not familiar, it's a bi annual event, and it's growing each time.

I'm not sure whether the big players are that bothered about more of the smaller players coming in and the so called DIY/hobbyist's, (not a term I would use, we all have one thing in common. We like Wood) let's face it most of the big players started out as small fish at some point in the past, so by opening up the show you will create/sow seeds in someone for the future. And that alone has to be a good thing IMHO.

SEE HERE
AND HERE

Think i mite have to go next year if i have the time.

Nick are you the same guy who looks after my account at axminster.

Steve

Hi Steve.

Yes 8) - small world I know (wouldn't like to paint it though) :D

See you soon - Cheers.

Felderman - Spot on too by the way ref. your summaries of W.Mex 04 - nice one.

*edited*

lol

Back