Axminster TH410 Owners please note

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dodge

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All

Thought I would just let you know of a slight hiccup I have just had with my Axminster TH410 - nothing serious so dont panic and dont be put off this fantastic machine - Have had mine for over a year and its been fantastic

Anyway after it stood for a couple of weeks whilst I was off over Christmas the rise and fall of the table has got very stiff. Anyway not wanting to force it had the side cover off today investigate.

Basically all it was, was the grease on the column had hardened and where it had risen into the collar for the pillar was making it stiff no doubt with the addition of dust etc.. After cleaning it all off with blade resin remover it now goes up and down really smoothly.

One thing I did notice though whilst I had the cover off was that the cogs which transfer the wind from the raise/lower handle to the column are PLASTIC!

So just a word of waring if the table on your TH410 does get stiff - do not force it give it a clean!

Yesterday I must admit I did luckily nothing gave though, now as I know I will treat a little more carefully!

Just thought I would let you know

Rog

A very useful tip that Rodger, that machine is high on my acquire list for the future. Plastic cogs, you wouldn't find that on a Wadkin!

They are quite large and solid but yes they are plastic - Personally I would still buy knowing that the machine is excellent - Have ordered a couple of spares from Axminster - just in case - also by doing that I know they will never break if I have got a spare set in the drawer :lol:

That is the inverse of murphys law is it?

I've wanted one ever since you said they were quiet in operation.

Inverse Murphy's Law: it worked last time I bought an umbrella. Several months' drought!

Rog

I had the same problem with mine a couple of months ago, I bought got mine just after you did, it could also be that after a year or so the grease goes hard.

The other problem I had with mine was sideways play in the cutter block. The circlip that holds the sprung washer was not putting enough pressure on the washer.

After a discussion with Axminster technical we came up with the idea of putting in a 1mm spindle moulder spacer.

It worked a treat and I have no problems since.

I would also recommend this machine, at the money it is well worth it.

Tom

Havnt noticed any play in the cutter block but will have a gander tomorrow - Cheers

Closelyl inspected the my cutter block today and there is no side to side play in the cutterblock whatsoever it still as the day I got it.

Back