Axminster Table Saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve

Established Member
Reaction score
There's a review of the Axminster APTC table saw on the main site, and when I first got the saw, I held almost precisely the same opinions, but that was probably because I was so delighted to have finally got a table saw! However, after a year's general use (not heavy use, by any means) the saw isn't quite living up to expectations. The brush motor is so fierce when it starts up, the fence sometimes jumps up from its slot by a few mm, making life somewhat difficult because you have to push it back down, almost certainly losing accuracy. I removed the useless marker, which tended to work loose and mark the timber as it passed over it. The aluminium table is of low grade material which explands and contracts readily with changes in temperature. This has, on a couple occasions, meant that the mitre fence has stuck in its slot and I've had to wait until evening and cooler temps to free it. I kid you not. Also, it marks very easily. The blade alignment is very prone to drift, and you can't rely on it at all. Changing the blade is a royal pain in the rear end because you have to unbolt the saw from its stand, up end it on the bench and take it from there. I used a pal's Electra Beckum recently, which was not that much more expensive, and it wasn't until then that I realised what a table saw should be. I really wish I'd paid that bit more and got a proper saw. This one's no more than OK. I wouldn't recommend it.

i got through 2 contracto style saws before i got a decent one.

i also had the axminster saw.

burnt th emotor out after about 4 months
they did fit a new one foc.

i spent a year looking for a new saw.

i ended up with the elektra beckum pk255.

its great.

induction motors are fabulous.

sooooo quiet

aleks

The very item, and I agree. It really is great. The Axminster is a Lada, and the EB is a Mercedes. Both will get you there, but I know which one I'd rather be driving!

Back