Axminster SX4 mill power feed engagement.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Munty Scruntfundle

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi there. SX4 finally arrived, all up and working. Nice machine, 95% finished. A few things that are as cheap as hell and need changing, but it's running and I'm getting used to it.

I bought the power feed module which works great, but there's no way to disengage it, so finding locations with the DRO on the X axis is a real nightmare, you're always fighting the torque applied by the motor's major position increments, you can feel them distinctly. One notch may take you well past your required position in each direction. Plus the additional torque added to the lead screw makes it difficult to turn.

I know what some of you are thinking, turn the motor off when not in use. This is with the unit unplugged, the magnets of course are still magnets.

Has anyone devised a simple and easy to use mechanism for quickly engaging/disengaging the drive motor?

I know what some of you are thinking, I have a mill, make one. Well yes. Just wondering if anyone has any plans I can steal to same some time! ;o)

Thanks.

-If anyone wants to know what I think of the machine, the goods the bads, please let me know, I'm happy to write something up.-

Yes i did this on a similar sized mill (wm18)
i machined a hexagon (17mm) on the shaft on the mill
then machined a long 1/2 square on the motor shaft
then a 17mm hex socket connects the 2 and slide it back to the motor and it disconnects drive
for some reason it never disconnects by itself

Ian

Back