Axminster st 480 drum sander

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mock

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have a manual for a Axminster st 480 drum sander i can have a copy of please ?
And can you tell me the best place to purchase cloth back sanding paper for it Mock

Myfordman":3sqrj8ht said:
Axminster have the manual. Abrasive from most online suppliers. Sometimes cutting up surplus belts can be cheaper.
Hermes RB 346 J-Flex Abrasive Roll 76mm x 25m £90 from Aximinster uncut i have no belt on the machine to copy and cut the roll to the required angle .Any where cheaper could some one kindly tell me what angle to cut the belt as i don't have the old belt to copy Mock

Can someone please tell me what angle i should cut the belt as i do not have the old belt to compare

It's easy to work out the angle but in fact you don't need to. The length of the sloping cut is equal to the circumference of the drum. You don't even need to work out the circumference. Just wrap the 75mm loading around the drum such that the edges butt up together (as they would when finally fitted). Mark where the end of the loading is adjacent to the edge of the first wrapping. Remove from the drum. Join the 2 points and cut.
I hope that makes sense.
Brian

Thank you Yojevol
Also Axminster sent me this diagram today
Mock

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 184
Can someone kindly point me in the right direction regarding what sanding paper they use on their st 480 drum sander .I don't want to buy some cheaper version that will be useless and i would like to start off with a small roll of about 10 m if possible .I can not afford a big roll like this in the link for £90
https://www.axminster.co.uk/25m-cloth-b ... s-ax856888
Mock

Yojevol":1s3i2vv9 said:
It's easy to work out the angle but in fact you don't need to. The length of the sloping cut is equal to the circumference of the drum. You don't even need to work out the circumference. Just wrap the 75mm loading around the drum such that the edges butt up together (as they would when finally fitted). Mark where the end of the loading is adjacent to the edge of the first wrapping. Remove from the drum. Join the 2 points and cut.
I hope that makes sense.
Brian
What am i doing wrong when i roll the paper on the belt i have some creases or bubbles (hammer) (hammer) (hammer) Mock

sound like you are forcing it to wind on at the wrong angle. the lead needs to be 75mm per revolution and that dictates the angle. You cannot usually use paper of differing widths as the far end wont align with the clamp. I have seen people modify the drum clamp postition to use different paper widths.

I think i have cut the belt at the wrong angle as i don't have a old belt to compare .It looks so easy on you tube videos' Sorry i bought the bloody thing now Mock

Who sells the sanding paper belt roll with a pre cut ends Axi told me they don't ' can you think of anyone Mock

Would someone be so kind as to make me a template of the angle of the cut belt or even post me a old belt if they have one at my cost off course' just to see if i have cut the angle wrong and that's why i am having problems winding the belt on the drum Please pretty please Mock if so can you email me or pm me for my address and your payment details thanks' in anticipation Mock

My sander is a jet 16-32 and the diagram I have made for myself is different from the one you show that Axi sent you.
There is no reason to think your machine is the same as mine.
Stop panicking and think about it. It aint rocket science even if you don't want/can't do the underlying maths.
Cut a long strip of newspaper 3" wide across the diagonal of a sheet to get it as long as possible and cut the ends square.
Wind it round the middle of the drum so the edges butt up nicely and secure across the seam with tape so that it does not stick to the drum. Slide the cylinder of paper up to the end of the drum and trim it to line up with the edge of the drum all the way round. Cut through the tape and un wind the strip and you have got a template of the end and the correct angle. Simples eh?

Or.... wind a strip of sandpaper around the drum, hold it in place with masking tap. mark with a pencil where the roll overlaps at the end of the roller, and cut along the line.

No laughing please 'The angle was cut correctly but i had the angle of the belt the wrong way around :oops: :oops: But now my belts to short #-o #-o would it be possible to attach a piece of the same diameter sanding belt to each other by gluing :roll: :roll: Thanks' to all that tried to help me i got there in the end well nearly thanks' again Mock

Not really as you need a constant thickness of abrasive across the drum. Any variation gets imposed on the surface of the job.
Similarly it is important not to let the abrasive overlap. Better to have a slight gap.

Have anyone had any experience with VSM sanding rolls paper back 115mm and 150mm 80 grit and 120 grit ? I am tempted to give it a go on the drum sander and yes i will have to cut the belt some one i know is selling it by a metre' What do you think is it worth the effort 50 p a metre but i would have to go and get it about 30 miles away so fuel also Mock

Attachments

• 71653111_10162424624930048_8678613636459003904_n.jpg
    71653111_10162424624930048_8678613636459003904_n.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 40
Back