Axminster. Speaking Too Soon.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mike C. You are obviously the type of person who does not care to hear opposing views.
John

TBF, we would all like our own opinions or point of view to be accepted or approved of but if we disaggree with another's view it doesn't necesarily mean we didn't want to hear it in the first place.

Thats one assumption too far.[/b]

from Mike C
.......I for one will never put a complaint on here again........

Don't do that Mike.

Even if it be unpalatable for some we all need to hear both the good and bad news as regards tool suppliers or indeed any other organisation that pertains to serve us.

How else can we make informed decisions ?

As regards any fall-out one may encounter whilst supplying those details it goes with the territory I'm afraid.

Messengers unfortunately do occasionaly get shot

Consider it an honourable wound :wink:

Mike,

I don't think anyone is calling you a liar, although I haven't read through all the thread again to be fair. However, it's not unknown for some retailers to make the assumption that customer X is trying to pull a fast one, which is what I think was the point being made. Not to say that this is Axminster's view, but it's not unheard of. It's quite possible it's just the view of the person on the end of the 'phone, and you were unlucky. I agree with David that a considered email to whichever Styles it is might be the way forward, if you want to pursue the matter. I tend to go that way myself if things go pear-shaped, and only if that response is unsatisfactory does it seem the time to rethink dealing with that company.

When all's said and done I hope everyone continues to share their experiences with the various retailers we woodworkers tend to deal with; good and bad. Just remember we'll all have a different approach to when a complaint is worth making or not, and try not to take anything too personally. <Here endeth the homily> (Sighs of relief all round) :lol:

Cheers, Alf

johnelliott,

johnelliott wrote:

Mike.C You are obviously the type of person who does not care to hear opposing views.

Why do you say this? The thing that i do not like is someone insinuating that i am a liar. For instance jaymar stating "ALMOST EVERYBODY WHO COMPLAINS ABOUT OUT OF WARRANTY ITEMS HAVE ONLY USED THEM A COUPLE OF TIMES.
I can take any opposing view, what i do not accept is one or more of my peers insinuating that i am lying. You are all entitled to your views but these views should be facts e.g if someone states that they have never had a problem with Axminster, that is a fact. If they state that almost everybody who complains about out of warranty items have only used them a couple of times, that is not a fact, he simply cannot know this.

I placed a post that i thought others should know about. In the process of placing an order i told Axminster that they might have a problem with one of their saws. Their reaction was to automatically wash there hands with it. At this point my act of passing information onto them, turned into a complaint, and i wrote the post. If these insinuations are the reaction to my placing this type of post, then it is not worth the hassel.

Mike.C

Hi David,

Thanks for the info. It seems that i am not the only one who has a problem with Axminster. Will more of them come forward i wonder.

Up until now i have always stated that i have never had a problem with Axminster. But i am now wondering if this is because of the quality of their products (not going wrong) and not the quality of the staff on the other end of the phone. Lets face it if they do not want to know about a problem which at another time may injure someone then there is something wrong.

Alf wrote:

However, its not unknown for some retailers to make the assumption that a customer X is trying to pull a fast one.

This maybe so but if they had asked for it back they could have seen if this was the case or not.

Regards Mike.C

Mike.C":1yalfv3g said:
johnelliott,

johnelliott wrote:

Mike.C You are obviously the type of person who does not care to hear opposing views.

Why do you say this?

I think you are rather proving my point for me. Unusually for me I seem to be in the majority in suggesting that, having made a direct complaint to the managing director, that you should then forget all about your bad experience with the saw and consider future purchases from Axminster on their merits and without reference to this unfortunate episode

Having read the others' comments I can't see that any of them are suggesting that you are a liar, they are referring to customer complaints and the assosciated procedures in general

I for one am not going to contribute anything further to this thread

John

Hello,

I have been hanging in the wings for a while and i believe that the time is right to step forward.

I have had a few problems with Axminster and i can comfirm that they are not always very helpful, and on one occaision in particular they were very rude. i ordered a bottle of glue and when i arrived it was completely rock hard all the way through. I contacted their customer service department only to be told that it was nothing to do with them and that i would have to write to the manufactuer.

I beleive that MikeC should not let them get away with this and i am very surprised that he has not received much support from his fellow woodworkers on this site.

Best Regards

woodsman

Woodsman i think we have been supportive in putting forward suggested routes to take . Like i said before after 12 months you beef is with the manufacturers not the stockist . It would be different if axminsters made the saws themselves .I am not trying to stick up for axminster but they have kept their end up in this case ,maybe they should have given the manufacturers details so a letter of complaint can be written to them .I feel sure that if this was a common occurence that they and any other stockists would soon remove it from sale as their reputation is on the line to supply quality goods .

Hi Woodsmen :)

Your location " Cockney Heaven"

Presumably within the 'sound' of Bow Bells :wink:

Mike C
It was not my intention to accuse you of lying,I was trying to point out that genuine claims can often be bundled in with bogus ones. I think Axminster should have been at least interested in the fault you encountered but unfortunately not all staff have the sense to see a genuine claim from a dodgy one. As has been suggested the only way is to take it higher than a telephone operator. I am sorry you took offence to my post as none was intended

Hello,

I see your points but from reading all your replies again i think mike.c is upset because he has tried to explain to you all again and again that he had not set out to complain about the fault in the saw blade. He only just mentioned the trouble as he was placing an order (or was this after the order?) and that because they did not take the fault seriously and called the tool they had been singing the praises of the year before flimsy, he felt aggrieved and complained.
I maybe wrong but i think that if he had contacted them to get a replacement saw he would have understood what you were saying, but because he felt he was just warning them about a fault and their only response was you have owned the product over 12 months, he feels that you should have supported his claim that they should take faults more seriously, do you know what i mean?

As i have explained i may be wrong but this is how i read it.

Best Regards

woodsman

Just caught up with posts and found this

Mike I feel for you but I cannot see why you think you have a case. Warranty is 12 months and you owned the saw for 13 no matter how many time it was used. QED.
Axminster have done nothing wrong - they have a trading policy which you were bound by when you purchased from them. I do not think that you will find any reference to number of times an item was used in their policy.

I understand how you feel but the warranty period was finished.

I recently had a digital camera refuse to switch on after 6 months. PC world's policy is not to fix/replace items after 28 days :evil:

They put me in touch with HP and a guy is coming out tomorrow to replace said camera.
A pain in the neck and like many companies, worse customer service than Axminster I think you'll find.

Tony

But what about the Sale of Goods Act placing responsibility with the retailer for 6 years??? Wouldn't that apply to your camera?
As for the saw, is it possible that a "reasonable" life expectancy for this type of tool is about a year? Seems to me it must be! In which case aren't Axminster being stingy refusing to acknowledge a problem after just 13 months? There's clearly a design fault with this type of saw, or Mike's individual saw, which I'd have thought would be of interest to the retailer any time after the purchase.
And, have I understood the Sale of Goods Act correctly...? How can the retailer be responsible for a product for 6 years when the manufacturer only guarentees it for one!? It seems like the vague wording of the Act practically always protects the customer?

BTW sorry to hear about your probs Mike - hope you get it sorted to your satisfaction.

Mike I did start out by saying and I quote;

"This is one of those threads where I find myself agreeing with both sides of the argument. "

and I still managed to put my foot in it.

Like jaymar, I too meant absolutely no offence.

I think though we would all be interested in finding out what Axminster are willing to do, if you contact someone with a bit more authority and put this problem to them.

Tony said
I recently had a digital camera refuse to switch on after 6 months. PC world's policy is not to fix/replace items after 28 days

Tony, it matters not a jot what PC worlds policy is if it infringes your rights and it does.

They are the seller and they are responsible for the goods they sell you.

At 6 months there can be no argument either.

Its the 3 R's m8

Repair, Replace or Refund

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back