Axminster Slow Speed Grinder advice please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aled Dafis

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, I've just bought an Axminster Slow Speed grinder for my new woodturning club at school (we start tomorrow, so pics to follow), and on unpacking today I noticed that the left hand wheel oscillated right to left quite a bit when turned by hand. A little measuring showed that the wheel is throwing by 2mm.

I expected the machine to vibrate horribly on switching on, but found it to run very smoothly; the wheel appeared to wobble but virtually no vibration was evident. Do you guys think that I should send it back, or just dress the wheel and live with the wobble as it doesn't seem to affect the machine at all. Could Axminster have balanced the wheel/spindle somehow?

I'll give Axminster a call tomorrow to see what they have to say, but would appreciate your views.

As it happens, apart from the wheel issue, I'm very impressed with the grinder overall, it's a big chunky unit and runs very smoothly, I'll write a little review once I get to grips with it and the Storme sharpening system.

Cheers
Aled

Hi Aled. Before you send the grinder back it may be beneficial to remove the side cover an make sure the wheel is seated correctly and that the locking nut is tight, when you have done this spin the wheel freehand to see if it turns any better. Sadly it is a very rare thing to buy a grinder these days with both wheels running true. It would such a simple thing for manufacturers to achieve a true running wheel. By the way. I see you are in Newquay. I am in St Clears. Enjoy your new Grinder. All the best. Geoff.

Chippygeoff":2oah3f1l said:
Hi Aled. Before you send the grinder back it may be beneficial to remove the side cover an make sure the wheel is seated correctly and that the locking nut is tight, when you have done this spin the wheel freehand to see if it turns any better. Sadly it is a very rare thing to buy a grinder these days with both wheels running true. It would such a simple thing for manufacturers to achieve a true running wheel. By the way. I see you are in Newquay. I am in dung Clears. Enjoy your new Grinder. All the best. Geoff.

Note to mods. Can't you stop the software changing something saintly to something from the nether regions? It did it to me too. Quite why it would assume that a shortened version of Saint refers to bodily products I can't imagine.

Back