Axminster SK114 variant question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tangledfeet":36fb1ga9 said:
Incredibly... I've just received an email confirming despatch of one SK114 T38R today for delivery on Monday!!! Was not anticipating that sort of service.
Post some photos so the rest of us know how the heck it works! :wink:

sploo":2e7bnzhv said:
tangledfeet":2e7bnzhv said:
Incredibly... I've just received an email confirming despatch of one SK114 T38R today for delivery on Monday!!! Was not anticipating that sort of service.

Hell yeah! 8)

I ordered some stuff from Axy yesterday afternoon and it arrived today just after lunch today.

woodpig":2irdhyed said:
I ordered some stuff from Axy yesterday afternoon and it arrived today just after lunch today.
I suspect the earlier comment was in reference to the fact they were/are listing a 3 week lead time on the SK114 variants (and the fact the T38R apparently doesn't "exist")

sploo":3476e4db said:

8)

SK114 T38R.jpg

EDIT: Have added a picture of it on the spindle; certainly much better than any other option available.

SK114 T38R on lathe.jpg

Attachments

• SK114 T38R.jpg
    SK114 T38R.jpg
    232.7 KB · Views: 749
  • SK114 T38R on lathe.jpg
    SK114 T38R on lathe.jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 748
tangledfeet":1phqz2vw said:
sploo":1phqz2vw said:

8)

EDIT: Have added a picture of it on the spindle; certainly much better than any other option available.

Just to confirm - that's a T38R?

I ask because this afternoon I had a mail from Axminster with some photos (showing the T38R) and the reverse locking mechanism was two screws through the face of the chuck, with no extended section at the back. With every new bit of info I just get more confused!

sploo":2wsrbjio said:
tangledfeet":2wsrbjio said:
sploo":2wsrbjio said:

8)

Just to confirm - that's a T38R?

I ask because this afternoon I had a mail from Axminster with some photos (showing the T38R) and the reverse locking mechanism was two screws through the face of the chuck, with no extended section at the back. With every new bit of info I just get more confused!

Yes, it is listed as the SK114 T38R, part 504493 on the invoice.

That 'reverse locking mechanism' that they've sent you a photo of would seem to be the reverse locking mechanism detailed in the PDF manual download on the Axminster website.

tangledfeet":d7t7zigj said:
Yes, it is listed as the SK114 T38R, part 504493 on the invoice.

That 'reverse locking mechanism' that they've sent you a photo of would seem to be the reverse locking mechanism detailed in the PDF manual download on the Axminster website.
Thanks. No idea what they've photographed then - unless there is a pair of holes in the face of the chuck too?

The two holes 'in the face of the chuck' are actually at the bottom of two of the jaw slide areas. There is a grub screw in each hole when you buy it which tighten down onto the shoulder of the spindle.
There are 3 problems with this.
1, They only work if you drill a small recess for them to tighten in to.
2, You can only access then when there are no jaws in the way.
3You have probably lost them anyway. I have 3 chucks and they have all loosened themselves as the chuck revolves and fallen out when the chuck was taken off the lathe.
Other than that the chucks are very good. The 38R shown above is the answer and I do not understand why it is nor in common use.

Grahamshed":2zojlbf9 said:
The two holes 'in the face of the chuck' are actually at the bottom of two of the jaw slide areas. There is a grub screw in each hole when you buy it which tighten down onto the shoulder of the spindle.
There are 3 problems with this.
1, They only work if you drill a small recess for them to tighten in to.
2, You can only access then when there are no jaws in the way.
3You have probably lost them anyway. I have 3 chucks and they have all loosened themselves as the chuck revolves and fallen out when the chuck was taken off the lathe.
Other than that the chucks are very good. The 38R shown above is the answer and I do not understand why it is nor in common use.
Graham - but is what you're describing above the "vanilla" T38 version of the SK114? The latest post I have from Axminster showed that configuration (two holes in the face) and indicated it was a T38R.

BTW When I say "face of the chuck" I'm meaning the area/orientation of the screws - you're absolutely right in that they're inside the chuck slide areas.

It does seem as though tangledfeet has found the solution, and that the T38R (as currently designed anyway) is what I was looking for - but frankly at the moment I'm not sure what I'd get if I placed an order!

Indeed. it is the vanilla version, the T38. I have to say that I have often wished I had paid the extra for the T38R as the chuck can easily 'unwind' when using cole jaws or even a heavy piece of wood ( centrifugal force and all that )...... but it seems I couldn't have anyway, :)

Grahamshed":16sbvp6x said:
Indeed. it is the vanilla version, the T38. I have to say that I have often wished I had paid the extra for the T38R as the chuck can easily 'unwind' when using cole jaws or even a heavy piece of wood ( centrifugal force and all that )...... but it seems I couldn't have anyway, :)
Thanks Graham - that's exactly my reason for wanting the locking functionality.

I think that settles it then - the T38R must be the right variant for me... despite the contradictory info from Axminster. I just wish my local branch had one in so I could lob it on their 1628VS to prove it's OK.

The T38R with the extended body (as per the M33 version of the SK100 as standard) is an extra £20.00, bringing the price up to a penny under £200. That's a lot of moolah. Think I'll stick with my SK100s!

sploo":3ro205y8 said:
It does seem as though tangledfeet has found the solution, and that the T38R (as currently designed anyway) is what I was looking for - but frankly at the moment I'm not sure what I'd get if I placed an order!

PM Me if you like and I'll happily provide invoice and order no's - happy for you to quote them when ordering. That's assuming what I have is what you want!

tangledfeet":36fpdyu0 said:
sploo":36fpdyu0 said:

PM Me if you like and I'll happily provide invoice and order no's - happy for you to quote them when ordering. That's assuming what I have is what you want!
I think you've already nailed it with the details in an earlier post (and many thanks for that) - the product code 504493 is the SK114 T38R; which is exactly what you've stated, and exactly what I'd expect the T38R to look like. I just don't understand how it's been so hard for Axminster to simply do that (take photos / provide info on a product they manufacture themselves)!

selectortone":19y7d2yv said:
The T38R with the extended body (as per the M33 version of the SK100 as standard) is an extra £20.00, bringing the price up to a penny under £200. That's a lot of moolah. Think I'll stick with my SK100s!

That is indeed a lot of money considering it's not that much bigger than an ordinary chuck. Are there any five inch wood turning chucks out there?

I seem to have got away with not paying any extra over the T38RL that I'd actually ordered on 22nd of October... 8)

This might be a controversial comment... but the quality of manufacture and fit of jaws onto the carriers is sublime; far better than it was on the Patriot when new a couple of years ago. I'm impressed, very impressed.

tangledfeet":3fcdgr5b said:
I seem to have got away with not paying any extra over the T38RL that I'd actually ordered on 22nd of October... 8)

This might be a controversial comment... but the quality of manufacture and fit of jaws onto the carriers is sublime; far better than it was on the Patriot when new a couple of years ago. I'm impressed, very impressed.
That (the quality of the SK114) is a topic that keeps coming up. It's part of the reason I'd like to get one, as I assume it'll be a good companion to the 1628VS.

sploo":16hkl1gv said:
tangledfeet":16hkl1gv said:

That (the quality of the SK114) is a topic that keeps coming up. It's part of the reason I'd like to get one, as I assume it'll be a good companion to the 1628VS.

Having actually used it this weekend I'm also mightily impressed with the 'gripper' jaws that Axminster do... think I'll be selling the Patriot as I'd rather just have the one jaw system.

Back