Axminster service...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Midnight

Established Member
Reaction score
The other day I'd cause to call Axminster; I'd bought a block plane from them (amongst other things) but unfortunately the delivery note read that the item was to follow.. No prob.. I'm in no hurry.. but by any chance, can you tell me how wide it is?? I'm making a tool cabinet, and while I can get its length online, I've no way to determine its width without actually measuring..
Well... it took a little while, transferred from sales to tech help, from there to the shop, but I eventually got 2 sizes... inch and three quarter or 41 mil... something didn't sound quite right so I did the calcs... inch and three quarter isn't 41 mil... hmmmmmmmmmmmmm... OK it looks like I gotta wait...
This was Friday...
Yesterday morning there's an unexpected knock at the door... delivery from Axminster... huge box... I'm thinking huh....??? it's a little wee block plane.. why the huge box..??
Rummage rummage rummage, hauling out dozens of those air filled pillows... and sure enough, down in the bottom was a little wee box with a block plane inside... andddddddd...... a new Lie Nielsen calender, compliments of Axminster and apologies for the delay...

Now... that's what I call service...

Ohhh... the size..?? 44 mil... allow 45 to clear...

you mean project in progress or the gloatimus maximus of the finished thing..??

To be honest, it's gonna take me forever to finish; I need to build it in stages to avoid getting lost in the detail...

Right now I'm working on the plane storage section, saw storage will follow.. After that, I need to figure how I wanna lay out the doors... might help if I get around to building them first...

Somewhere in the back of my head there's a voice saying that sometime in my near future I'll be opening a thread describing how to cause the catastrophic failure of french cleats...

Dem French cleats sure do take a lot of weight, Mike!

I knew they're strong... I've a consumables rack that this new chest is gonna replace.. must have close to 100Kg's in the rack without so much as a murmour from the cleat..

That said.. this chest will make 100Kg's look featherweight, and the doors will add leverage that I haven't explored yet.. but..

If I chicken out I can always double up on the cleats for insurence...

Midnight":3h95ndye said:
Yesterday morning there's an unexpected knock at the door... delivery from Axminster... huge box... I'm thinking huh....??? it's a little wee block plane.. why the huge box..??
Rummage rummage rummage, hauling out dozens of those air filled pillows... and sure enough, down in the bottom was a little wee box with a block plane inside... andddddddd...... a new Lie Nielsen calender, compliments of Axminster and apologies for the delay...
Heh heh, I had the same "huh?" huge box moment and got lots of air-filled pillows and a calendar. Must be costing them a fortune in packing to get rid of those LN calendars! :lol: And no, it's not a gloat. A couple of items on loan for a review which <sob> have to go back. :cry: :cry: :cry:

But Mike, why didn't you ask here for the dimensions? I think between us we must have darn nearly every LN plane there is. :roll:

Cheers, Alf

Alf":12gcm54i said:
I think between us we must have darn nearly every LN plane there is. :roll:
When you say "between us", you mean you and....?
Hmm, can't think of quite the right witty thing to say. Very tired. But hopefully you can imagine the rest of the "joke".

Failing miserably at posting, but not quite coherent enough to just move on to the next one :roll:

Aragorn":3a6j7k45 said:
Alf":3a6j7k45 said:
I think between us we must have darn nearly every LN plane there is. :roll:
When you say "between us", you mean you and....?
Well I'm pretty sure that quite a few of the membership have more LNs than I. I mean I've sold one of mine, for heaven's sakes. :roll: There's real danger of Canadian accents out-numbering the Maine ones in the near future. :? Hmm, where's that Axminster catalogue... :wink:

Cheers, Alf

You sold an LN??? :shock:
Which one and why??
Surely you had space somewhere to keep it!

But Mike, why didn't you ask here for the dimensions? I think between us we must have darn nearly every LN plane there is.

Actually I did... a little later... but for a different plane...

Alf-its because he's a bit gloat-shy
I think not

jealousy's a terrible thing... :p

besides.. I mentioned em in Adam's hand plane list ;P~

Aragorn":1qiidzr6 said:
You sold an LN??? :shock:
Yep.
Which one and why??
The #112 scraper plane. I got it as a consolation after a certain abortive bandsaw-buying episode, and every time I got it out to use I was reminded of same and so the scraper inherited the waves of hate and disappointment. It had to go. :roll: Also I needed the cash to pay for the dehumidifier... :oops:
Surely you had space somewhere to keep it!
Yes, I had space. I still have space. In time I hope another Canadian invader of a scraping variety will be in that space, but when depends on whether any of the hints and tips I sent to GWW get printed... :wink:

But on the other hand, just for balance, I've also sold the Veritas bullnose, so no bias here. :wink: (Proceeds towards forum costs btw, before you lot think I'm actually making any money from the blood and sweat expended on the reviews. :p )

Cheers, Alf

Alf":3kumkeny said:
But on the other hand, just for balance, I've also sold the Veritas bullnose, so no bias here. :wink: (Proceeds towards forum costs btw, before you lot think I'm actually making any money from the blood and sweat expended on the reviews. :p )
That is extraordinarily generous of you, Alf - keeping it would have seemed a very reasonable thing to do after the huge task of writing those famous reviews :shock:

Cheers,
Neil

rsinden":263qfwrt said:
Alf

What is a reasonable level of humidity in a workshop?

Is there a maximum before I need to start thinking about a dehumidifer?

Roger

Look for around 60% this should give you a timber MC (moisture content) of around 10 - 11% saves the timber splitting when it goes into the house as furniture!

Hows the dehumidifying going Alf?

The Restorer":2ykup0k9 said:
Look for around 60% this should give you a timber MC (moisture content) of around 10 - 11% saves the timber splitting when it goes into the house as furniture!

Hows the dehumidifying going Alf?
Well after reading that I can say "pretty well". I'm at or around 60% now. Now I'm worried that, come the summer, when the workshop really heats up I'll have to think about stuff cracking from drying out too much.

rsinden":2ykup0k9 said:
Philistine that I am I was more worried about me kit rusting!
That was my motivation too. :D Trouble is I took drastic anti-rust measures at the same time so while I can say I seem to be rust-free at the moment, I can't say for certain if it's the dehumidifier.

Neil":2ykup0k9 said:
That is extraordinarily generous of you, Alf
Well I dunno about that. Wouldn't have the opportunity if the forum didn't exist and I have got one or two other items out of doing them... Anyway it's a while since my last plane sacrifice for the cause and I was starting to feel guilty. :roll: :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Just to throw in my 2p worth.

I ordered a shiny new L-N 4 1/2 from axminster a while back. When it arrived I was a little gutted to find that the button on the lateral adjustment arm was missing.... Guess the QC at Maine had gone a little off the mark that day. Anyways. Axminster were great about it, I had a replacement within a week or two, all postage payed for by them.

Also have a similar humidity crisis in my garage (I mean workshop). Not gone to the extent of a dehumidifier though. Could only afford to splash out on one, and that's inside the house :-( But making sure everything is wrapped up seems to work. Those plane socks are a winner too.

Luckily I've got quite a good source of those silica crystal bag things (from working in electronics research) so I guess they help too.

Andy

Alf":2ak49f2d said:
....depends on whether any of the hints and tips I sent to GWW get printed... :wink:

Hey Alf (et al) -

No need to wonder about stuff getting picked...we're actively soliciting writing for our technical bulletins, and email news letters. We pay cash for articles, or offer tool credit... ( choice of X in cash, or 1.5X in credit) ...

If that's of any interest to those here - pls feel free to email me directly for details....

[email protected]

Cheers -

Rob

Back