Axminster selling Powermatic!?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sawdust=manglitter

Established Member
Reaction score
Just a heads up... seen this on facebook...

55b3ff650e5fe65ea7c8d58149a2340e.png

So if anyone's planning any big machine purchases it might be worth holding off to see what range and prices Axminster get

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are Powermatic American? If so, would that mean that it is built with all Imperial fixings and threads? Or are they all made in China like everything else so just as likely to be metric as anything else made over in China?

Neil

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

That explains the discounting to the Jet range. How odd since you do realise that Powermatic lathes are literally identical lathes to the Jet models, just branded as Powermatic. One can only conclude Axy (Brimarc) must be getting them cheaper through Powermatic than Jet.

My Jet 3520B looks identical apart from being white. It even has a rubber insert in the top of the headstock with powermatic embossed within. I therefore suspect both machines will originate from a single source in the Far East. Interesting to see if changing brand results in a move away from the M33 thread.

Er......that's my point......they are identical in every way except the branding. They absolutely dominate the US upper lathe market so I'm guessing their purchase leverage is greater than jets which is probably why Axy have switched.

Do you happen to know if they're imperial spindle dimensions in the US then? If they are and they don't "euro-ise" them it would be a step backwards since the whole industry is landsliding towards a standard of MT2 and M33 now which is very handy for chuck and accessory compatibility.

The thread standards could be interesting, if the UK stock has gone metric then folks are going to have to be careful in future with purchases of second user machines.

The USA stock is 1-1/4" X 8 spindle.

Specifications Model Number ............................................................................................................................................... 3520B Stock Number ........................................................................................................................................... 1352001

Capacities: Working distance between centers .............................................................................................................. 34-1/2” Working distance between centers, 18” bed extension mounted ....................................................................... 48” Maximum distance between spindle face and tailstock quill .............................................................................. 36” Swing over bed .................................................................................................................................................. 20” Swing over toolrest base .................................................................................................................................... 17”

Motor and Electricals: Motor type ............................................................................................. totally enclosed fan cooled, induction Horsepower ................................................................................................................................ 2HP (1.5 kW) Voltage .................................................................................................................................................... 220 V Cycle ........................................................................................................................................................ 60Hz Motor FLA (full load amperage) ................................................................................................................... 6.2 Power requirements ............................................................................................................. 220V, 3Ph or 1Ph Drive system ............................................................................................................. Poly V belt, inverter drive VFD input amperage ................................................................................................ 15.7A (1PH), 8.4A (3PH) VFD output to motor ....................................................................................................................... 7.5A (3PH) Recommended circuit* .............................................................................................................................. 20 A * subject to local and national electrical codes

Headstock and Spindle: Spindle speeds (RPM) ........................................................................................ high 125-3200; low 50-1200 Spindle thread size ..................................................................................................................... 1-1/4” x 8 TPI Spindle direction ...................................................................................................................... forward/reverse Headstock spindle taper .................................................................................................................... #2 Morse Hole through headstock spindle, diameter ................................................................................................. 5/8” Outboard external threads ...................................................................................................... 1-3/16”–18 UNC Indexing positions ......................................................................................................................................... 48

Tailstock: Tailstock quill taper ............................................................................................................................ #2 Morse Hole through tailstock spindle, diameter .................................................................................................... 3/8” Tailstock quill travel ................................................................................................................ 4-1/2” (114 mm)

Most European lathes have whitworth threads on the spindle anyway........ in my market segment even white metal bearings are fairly normal.

Hello,

Being made by the same factory as Jet, it isn't a stretch to equip euro destined lathes with the metric spindle. I'd not worry too much I'm sure Axminster wouldn't sell a different spec than their line of chicks, either.

Mike.

I agree and they've recently invested heavily in the new Evolution range of chucks so I think it close to a certainty they wont market an imperial old style spindle spec as it would doubtless harm their chuck business.

Random Orbital Bob":3s8mt1ht said:
Ithey wont market an imperial old style spindle spec
Check your facts. Both the SK100 & SK114 are available in 1 1/4" x 8tpi

The factory in Taiwan will spec the machines the way the customer requires. I would expect the threads to be M33 same as Jet on big machines with the various adapters for those that need.

I think you may have missed the different thread on this....Axy have been discounting their Jet stock heavily for a few weeks now. The assumption made here (by me) is that they're deliberately making room for the influx of the same lathe with the different brand because one has to assume they will make greater margin.

Hi everyone,

Axminster is pleased to bring the Powermatic brand to the UK and Europe with a small range of machinery to start with. Powermatic have invested heavily in making sure that these machines comply with CE standards and we hope that there will be further machines to add to this range in future. The Powermatic 3520B and 4224B woodturning lathes are familiar to many customers as we previously imported these lathes under the Jet brand. The Powermatic versions are almost exactly the same, with a few detail differences. So the same M33 x 3.5mm thread etc as used for the Jet versions.

Incidentally, to make things clear, both Jet and Powermatic are brands owned by JPW Industries, La Vergne, Tennessee, USA.

If you have any questions please let me know.

Thanks

Richard

Back