Axminster scroll saw, which is better?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walnutter

Reaction score
I am looking for a scroll saw and as only Axminster seems to be available at the moment I am between 2 of their models. one is AT460SS , the so called hegner clone and the other is AT406SS . The second one is over the budget, but seems to be preferred choice of the most. What is your opinion? I am new and it will be for occasional use, but want to have the joy of creating something.

I don't own either of those machines, but having been on here a while now, the 460 (Hegner clone) has had some very satisfied users posting here in the past. Some have said, more or less "just as good as the real Hegner).

The 406 LOOKS just like the Excalibur Ex 18 inch version. I have an Excalibur 21 inch version myself and am delighted with it (it's over 5 years old now, and never a problem), BUT there have been several reports on here from people who have bought this Axi "re-badged" version of the Excalibur machine range (18 inch, 21 inch, and 30 inch). All had several serious problems with them - to the extent of having them changed by Axi under Warranty in some cases and one has written "never again".

It seems that these Axi versions of the Excalibur machines have been somehow "cheapened" internally with it seems, not very good results.

To get the full story you should search through posts in this section, firstly for a post by member Droogs who has the full story (it's complicated) and also for posts by several others (none of whose names I remember, sorry!) all of whom have had problems with these Axi versions of the Excalibur range.

If you want to know the full "story" of the "real" Excalibur (General International Co) machines, not the Axi versions, let me know and I'll dig up several posts I made here on that subject from when I was researching prior to my own Excalibur purchase 5+ years ago.

HTH and good luck

Last edited:
You will not go far wrong with the AT460SS, I have its predecessor the AWFS18 and am more than happy with it

If not supplied with the new saw the top quick clamp is in my opinion essential but otherwise its good to go

I recently bought the Axminster AT535SS yesterday. This is 21 inch throat. Very pleased with it. Thought for an extra 50quid and get these extra perks compared to 16 inch. Why not!

@Walnutter
Firstly, Hola and welcome to the forum. Just before saying something about the 2 styles (rather than makes) of scrollsaw, can I get you to take a moment and think about what you will be doing with it most. By that I mean will you be doing stuff that basically needs a perpendicular cut made such as pierced fretwork and intarsa type projects or will you be looking to do more marquetry/veneer based projects where using an angled/tilted blade is needed.

If you are doing the former (without going into pages of history, you can get by doing a quick search) Then either go for the 406 hegner clone and get decent clamps or get a Hegner. If you are going to be doing a majority of veneer and marquetry work then you really do want the excalibur style of saw as this is by far the best type of saw in terms of ergonomic comfort and ease of use. However as has been intimated above, when is an excalibur not an excalibur? Simple when it is made by Axminster. the internsals are of a much inferior quality and the stroke arm mechanisms have been changed from the original (Patents etc) and is nowhere near as good as the original Excalibur saw. The Machines from Axi suffer from excessive - really excessive vibrations and at times can make the saw unusable. If youare just strating out take the time to wait for the proper version to arrive at your door and put up with the little bit of delay and slightly extra cost to get it into the UK. Look to buy either a Pegas badged machine such as AES has from a continental supplier. You may even have to get AEES to get you one and send it due to that which shall not be named until the revolution comes, or you can order the original machine from Rockler in the states and a few other suppliers in canada (you just need to check previous threads about this)

so in summary if doing lots and lots of vertical edge cuts then just get the hegner type or if doing veneer and marquetry and want excellent results and comfort in use (because the blade tilts not the table) then go for the Excalibur. Personally i prefer the Excal and that is what I went for and actually got rid of my hegner as it ended up sitting in the corner taking up space I needed for my morticer.

hth

I have one of the first Hegner, sold in the UK mid 1970's. Based on the quality I bought 6 Hegner saws mid 1980's for the school workshops where I taught. In 2019 when I left 3 were still going strong. The other 3 had been replaced along the way with various units including Axi and Delta. They did not last.
Try and source a 2nd hand Hegner if you can.

Colin

Or try and source a s/h AT406SS. I know where there's one available - at the bottom of my garden in my workshop. In great condition. Little used. PM me if you want to chat.
Brian

I have one of the first Hegner, sold in the UK mid 1970's. Based on the quality I bought 6 Hegner saws mid 1980's for the school workshops where I taught. In 2019 when I left 3 were still going strong. The other 3 had been replaced along the way with various units including Axi and Delta. They did not last.
Try and source a 2nd hand Hegner if you can.

Colin
I'd love to see a picture of that 1975 8sh Hegner, my oldest is a 1980 still working perfect

I'd love to see a picture of that 1975 8sh Hegner, my oldest is a 1980 still working perfect
Pictures as requested. I bought the saw in 1984 from the previous woodwork teacher, who had bought it new about ten years earlier. A few years ago I managed to get a black silicon rubber blower bellows to replace the long cracked and useless original. Everything on the saw is true, the motor runs nicely, no noticeable wear in the bearings etc. It has had very little use in the the last 20 years as I originally bought it for making of toys and my boys are now in there 30's. Our 1st grandson is now just over one so it will be brought back into action.

Colin
1-1600.jpg
2-1600.jpg
3-1600.jpg
4-1600.jpg
5-1600.jpg
6-1600.jpg

Pictures as requested. I bought the saw in 1984 from the previous woodwork teacher, who had bought it new about ten years earlier. A few years ago I managed to get a black silicon rubber blower bellows to replace the long cracked and useless original. Everything on the saw is true, the motor runs nicely, no noticeable wear in the bearings etc. It has had very little use in the the last 20 years as I originally bought it for making of toys and my boys are now in there 30's. Our 1st grandson is now just over one so it will be brought back into action.

ColinView attachment 173109View attachment 173110View attachment 173111View attachment 173112View attachment 173113View attachment 173114
Thanks Colin, Thats interesting although i believe that your saw might not be as old as was suggested.
I own machine number 3939 and is confirmed by Hegner gmbh as 1980.
The blade clamp holder shape and stubby pivot arm pins without springs are quite unique on the really old ones. The rear upright C bracket should be secured to the base by 1 bolt not 2 as well
Nice saw btw

Last edited:
20230722_180935.jpg

20230722_180745.jpg

20230722_180655.jpg

20230722_180735.jpg

20230722_180912.jpg

Mines all original even with original European 2 pin plug.
Painted blade clamp holder with oval internal shape.
Only 1 bolt to secure rear C bracket to base.
Short arm pins
Different motors is regular standard on most Hegners, they were either Bauknecht or AEG back then

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. You may be able to draw some light on a "fact" I was told when I bought the saw. The original owner collected it from the then sole distributor near where he lived just outside Southend-on-sea in Essex.

Colin

Back