Axminster router and cutters

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnboy

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, On the back cover of Furniture and Cabinet Making Axminster are advertising their "white" routers and as a special are selling the 1/2" model with a set of 24 1/2" shank cutters for 114.95, just 15 quid more than for just the router. Has anyone got one of these routers or does anyone know if these cutters are any good. Obviously at that price they wont be Trend quality but it still looks like a bargain to me. The offer is valid until the end of Sept.

John

I have the Axminster router but I declined the offer of the cutters.I already have some cheap cutters and they are nowhere near as good as the perform ones. I am very happy with the router BTW.

John

No experience with these particular cutters but I have received 'free' cuttrs with routers i nthenpast and would guess they are all the same.

I find them OK but not up to Perform, Freud Pro or Trend class. I used them one on some aluminium to rout a dado and it worked a treat (lowest speed on router)

When one considers just how rarely one uses ogee etc. bits, I think they are a good investment

For £15 you would get one Trend craft cutter, so why not?

I might go for it then. I could do with another router for freehand work. I have a Trend T5 in the woodrat and a Draper 1/2" (same as the Freud I think) in the router table. I like 1/2" router cutters, the thick shank just gives me confidence that it's not going to break if I overload it a bit.

John

Johnboy,

Go for it - and tell us what you think. At £15 extra it is not going to break the bank and you might be pleasantly surprised.

I have no idea if they are any good at all. A few years ago I would have said "Rubbish!" without much fear of contradiction but the quality coming out of China is improving by leaps and bounds even in the budget tools area.

I know from personal business experience that one can get good stuff from China - like Taiwan used to be, it takes some effort on the part of one's procurement people but it can be done. Eventually, like Taiwan, their own quality and marketing people take up the baton and it seems to be happening now with woodworking kit.

Of course, this rather presumes the cutters come from China! Economics being the souless beast it is, the cutters probably come from Kazakstan or Outer Mongolia.

Back