Axminster Routalift

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard Findley

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm setting up my own workshop and want to put in a router table. I saw in the Axminster catalogue their Routalift http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-Axminster-Routalift-23154.htm I thought it seemed like a good idea/product but wondered if anyone else has experience of this product and can advise if it's worth the money or if I should just build a more standard table?

Thanks,

Richard

Richard,

I considered the same, after a lot of research I bought the Triton Router (on sale at B&Q for £99) which is designed to be table mounted and has a couple of unique features. As a result its easy to adjust the height and also you can change the bits from above the table, therefore negating the need for a routalift.

paul

Richard

If you are going down the route of a routalift,you might want to consider the Unilift from Woodpecker, link below

woodpeckers.htm

It really is a superb piece of equipment and with the Xtreme extension router bits can be changed from above the table.

The other alternative is the triton router, but I have no experience of this

Or if you've not bought the router yet your could considder a Trend T11 which IMHO is a better machine than the Triton if not more expensive. This has a raising mechanism built in so you could use a relatively inexpensive router plate and drill a hole through it. I made an insert myself from a scrap of 8mm perspex so cost me nothing.

I bought the Axminster Routalift about 3 years ago and fitted it to my home made router table. Very easy and smooth to adjust and accurate

As an add on to Waka I would say that the woodpekkers lift is a better product. It's certainly better engineered although it is more complex. I concidered the routerlift at one point but spoke to some people who said they had experienced 'chatter' when using large panel raising cutters. This I guess is due to the router being only held on one side. The woodpeckers model is supported on both sides eliminating this. That said I have spoken to those who have never had this problem with the routerlift. The only concern I would have with the woodpecker is dust clogging up the chain mechanism. Having not owned it I don't know if its an issue. The routerlift is belt driven and this is self shrouded to a certain extent and is set quite a bit back from the router so possibly wouldn't suffer this.

Richard I asked the same sort of question a while ago so this may help

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/view ... ft&start=0

I ended up getting the Triton TRB001 and this insert

http://www.woodpeck.com/aluminsert.html

which together IMHO make a excellent router lift.

You will notice in the link that Tim had to send 3 Trend T11's back so if you do think of going down this road I would check this out first.

Also I believe you need something like the Xtreme Xtension to change router bits above the table but with the Triton you don't need any extras.

Cheers

Mike

I've had the Axminster Routalift and table about three years it's a great bit of kit no problems at all, no warping what so ever...

You won't be dissapointed...:wink:

I use a RouterRaizer bought from Woodworkers workshop.
Much cheaper than the other alternatives and has worked fine for several years now.
I use it with my DW625 and have not found the need to fit the Xtreme extension.

Rod

I think a router lift (or similar) is a luxury that you can easily live without it, I think £170 would be better expended in a TREND Mortice &Tenon jig or in a Leigh Super 18 :D

I used to have a routalift and found it a very good piece of kit.

Swapped to a Triton and to be honest I wish I'd kept the routalift due to a few problems with the height adjustment on the Triton. The routalift is much more adjustable.

For me the Triton really scores for above table bit changing, - a real plus. but I do miss the the 'adjustability' of the routalift.

If I could find a way of having both then I would :D

Back