Axminster Robust Tool Rests

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Look the business. The you tube video with Robo hippy shows the development of them. Really impressive. But...how can they be worth what Axminster are asking? I thought the Sorby modular rests were pricey, but these take costs to another level. My pocket money won’t stretch to these.
D

Up to 200mm you can buy small section hss round bar for next to nothing - it can't be that difficult to scrape a small hollow in a cast iron tool rest and epoxy one to to it. I've thought about it before but not got around to it.

I snapped the stock rest that came with my Nova Comet , bang, head clean off.... went to our local metal worker man and he made me a replica in mild steel, slightly longer rest and a little crude but way stronger than the rubbish i had before, only cost 20 euros too... bargain

Up to 200mm you can buy small section hss round bar for next to nothing - it can't be that difficult to scrape a small hollow in a cast iron tool rest and epoxy one to to it. I've thought about it before but not got around to it.

you'd have to scrape away all the top section too to get something similar. But yes, if you didn't care about getting the same shape, I suppose you could just do that.

1600936856656.png
1600936866766.png

Made these a couple of years ago using cheap HSS from Amazon. Half hour with angle grinder and small chainsaw file. Just one fail when clipped by chuck but easy re-glue. Works really well.

Attachments

• DSC04892s.jpg
    DSC04892s.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 67
Made these a couple of years ago using cheap HSS from Amazon. Half hour with angle grinder and small chainsaw file. Just one fail when clipped by chuck but easy re-glue. Works really well.

Nice! How did you get such a perfect straight line along the top?

Nice! How did you get such a perfect straight line along the top?
If I remember correctly, used a metal edge to guide the grinder to rough out, then filed. Very important to use a cylindrical file (chainsaw sharpening style) of the same diameter as the inserted HSS rod to get a perfect seating and establish a 50% of circumference contact. I'm of an age when we were taught metal work and how to use a file at school!

Back