Axminster Rider plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My new Axminster Rider plane arrived the other day, and I appear to be having some issues. Firstly, I want to move the frog forwards a bit as the mouth is open pretty wide. But having taken it apart, I can't actually move the frog forwards becauses the screws holding the frog down are positioned as far as they will go. Taking the brass washers off doesn't help, the thread of the screw is actually touching the casting?

20200401_212014.jpg

20200401_212045.jpg

There is however loads of room to move the frog backwards? Am I missing something?

Secondly, as you can see in the last image, the lateral adjuster has been cast wonky. It's been cast more to the right, so when I put the blade in, it always has to be skewed initially to account for this? Am I being fussy here? or should I expect better quality than that?

The frog itself always sits more to the right, due to more wonky casting . So the blade doesn't protude through the center of the mouth. It's about 2mm to the right, when looking at the plane bottom :(

20200401_212135.jpg

Attachments

• 20200401_212014.jpg
    20200401_212014.jpg
    386 KB · Views: 282
  • 20200401_212045.jpg
    20200401_212045.jpg
    211.3 KB · Views: 286
  • 20200401_212135.jpg
    20200401_212135.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 285
Hmmm. I would return it and ask them to send me one that has been inspected. They are expensive enough (although not in the LN or Clifton range) for castings and adjustments to be better. I find that Chinese made Axi stuff is inconsistent, which is why I prefer to visit the shop. Not possible currently perhaps.

As the gentleman said, just contact customer services and request a return or replacement. Axminster are good in this regard so there should be no problem. The plane is not right.
I believe many / all of the Rider planes are made for them by Soba in India.

AJB Temple":3ldddc1m said:
Hmmm. I would return it and ask them to send me one that has been inspected. They are expensive enough (although not in the LN or Clifton range) for castings and adjustments to be better. I find that Chinese made Axi stuff is inconsistent, which is why I prefer to visit the shop. Not possible currently perhaps.
I'm fairly certain that these are made in India by Soba tools.
PS sorry just spotted the post above!!
PPS I'd strongly recommend Quangsheng planes as they're only slightly more expensive but much better quality
https://www.workshopheaven.com/hand-too ... lanes.html

Back