• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to UK Workshop and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Axminster Rider 5.5 Jack Plane...Pristine SOLD

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodbloke66

Established Member
Reaction score
This is, I believe, the original Rider No. 5.5 from Axminster. At the time these were supplied with oiled, Indian Rosewood handles as can be seen from the pic:

IMG_2943.jpg

The blade and cap iron are not original as I swopped them over for another set from a different 5.5 jack, but the original blade will be included. The plane is in pristine condition and has taken no more than a dozen shavings. No box, see details and review here The plane comes fully honed and is ready to go. £68 to inc packing and courier delivery - Rob

Attachments

• IMG_2943.jpg
    IMG_2943.jpg
    271.7 KB · Views: 971
Serendipity! I had just been looking at 5 1/2 planes and trying to find a middle ground above an old Stanley.

Fitzroy":rwkbpu05 said:
Serendipity! I had just been looking at 5 1/2 planes and trying to find a middle ground above an old Stanley.
:shock:
Well that's fighting talk!
:roll:
:D

Bm101":2d6escu1 said:
Fitzroy":2d6escu1 said:
:shock:
Well that's fighting talk!
:roll:
:D
So is saying Records are nicer than Stanleys... I reckon so.

I don't need any more Jack planes but these Axi higher end planes look nice. I'm sure they could make lovely tools.

John (hammer)

They are nice John but if the price was right, my arm could be severially twisted to sell the original, prototype, cast brass body, frog, lever cap, Rider No.4 with teak handle and tote. I don't need to sell it yet, but the thought had flitted across my mind - Rob

Well I am still in rehab, so not at home, and no one there to take delivery!!! I really do have a number of 5.5s but I suppose I could always sell one of my good Stanleys on the forum! :lol:
Will have to see how I fare planing, when I get home. I am still using a frame to walk! #-o

Oops I am sorry Rob. I see you were talking about a Number four! I have three of these also, and I use them for most of my smoothing. My favourite is the one my wife bought me for a wedding gift in 1962. I've looked after it, and my only gripe is the short nose, which means I sometimes come off the work on the back stroke, and bruise my knuckles! But then I suppose we've all done that!

John (hammer)

Latest posts

Back