Axminster RAS125 Random Orbit Sander

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Good Surname or what ?

Established Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any views on this ROS ? It's very inexpensive @ £34.95.

I've never used a ROS before - and not sure how much I'll use one going forward. My first use for it will be tidying up after hot-scraping the paint off a number of old internal pine doors.

I usually listen to my heart and buy the best I can afford/justify to SWMBO. What else should I consider / how can I justify something more expensive ? Should I use my head and just think myself lucky to have found a bargain, fib to SWMBO and put the extra towards something in "ductile iron" where my heart lies.

Thanks

Hi Phil

Good Surname or what ?":1fk6atoh said:
Anyone have any views on this ROS ? It's very inexpensive @ £34.95. I usually listen to my heart and buy the best I can afford/justify to SWMBO.

There are two excellent products that you might want to consider.

The metabo sxe450 duo at 139 with 50 free disks: -

http://www.dm-tools.co.uk/store/newsear ... ge=&issue=

The Festool, RO150E Plus Rotex 3 in 1 Sander, is a tad more at 289. :roll: I thought I saw someone buy this over the Metabo yesterday: -

http://www.protrade.co.uk/shop/
Click power tools
Click sanders
Click random orb. sanders

Steve was trying both yesterday and, I believe, that the only difference he found was that there was no vibration at all with the Festool and very little with the Metabo.

Cheers
Neil

Phil
I have used a cheapy ROS for a few years now-it has worked fine, and they are far superior to regular power sanders. The cheapy ones do tend to vibrate some, though, giving "sander fingers" after a little while.
I recently bought the Metabo, a very superior sander. Quiet, fast, vibration free and a perfect finish. Can't recommend it enough!
HTH
Philly :D

I bought a ROS from Wickes a while back,(the pro version) worked well enough,and the Axminster looks a similar machine. If you don't think you will use it a lot then certainly worth considering ( I burnt mine out in 3 months :roll: ).

The downside of the cheaper machines is that they don't have a brake on the spinning mechanism so as you start the machine the disk spins rather than orbits. This can mark the wood if you are not careful, best to always start the machine with the pad lightly touching the work. Also the dust extraction is generally poor on the cheaper machines although I have not tried it on the Axminster.

Keith

Latest posts

Back