Axminster price increases

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hsmith192

Established Member
Reaction score
How do people feel about the Axminster price increases? They’ve gone up since last year. Must be something to do with Brexit and shipping containers.
Have you guys had good experiences with other machine companies in the UK?

It’s nothing to do with Brexit or shipping containers Axminster have always hiked their prices on a regular basis, just do a search of this site & you’ll find threads going back over a decade moaning about their price increases.
As for other companies there are plenty out there offering better value, I can’t remember the last time I shopped at Axminster.

It’s nothing to do with Brexit or shipping containers Axminster have always hiked their prices on a regular basis, just do a search of this site & you’ll find threads going back over a decade moaning about their price increases.
As for other companies there are plenty out there offering better value, I can’t remember the last time I shopped at Axminster.

What other companies would you recommend?

I think the MD of Axminster has a gambling habit :LOL:

Record Power is usually quite good for keeping prices pretty much the same, but maybe these days with the pandemic, shortage of staff and inability to move goods have meant all bets are off.

As I saw it Axminster had to make a guess as to what inflation there would be over the 12 months following their catalogue printing. It's difficult to make predictions, especially about the future.

Wow, that looks like the 2nd big price hike in the last two years.
I was thinking of getting the 1hp chip extractor. It was ~£170 2 years ago, then ~£200 last year, but always out of stock. It is now £250, that is almost a 50% increase in 2 years.
My AC250PT was £800 (free del) when I bought it 2 - 2.5 years ago - now £1300 (+£60 del). £560 increase or +70%

They are not alone, RP Sabre 350 was £840 delivered 2.5 yrs ago - Yandles show price, now £1250 + £60 del, increase of 56%

Glad I'm not currently looking for any machines!

Last edited:
I find it a bit odd when the topic of Axminster price rises comes up.

Axminster pitch their price alongside umpteen competitors based on their view of the world. Some people will buy from them on the basis of the service expectation (which I have always found to be good) or quality (they publish reviews which tell the good and bad of their products) but they know price will always be a factor so I doubt they are trying to gouge us. You can thumb through their catalogue, browse online or go into a shop and handle the goods so easy to compare with deals available elsewhere.

It’s a free market - supply, demand and competition dictate prices.

There are umpteen other good suppliers of woodworking machinery. I got my bandsaw from Grovewood Machinery and was very happy with the service and price.

I have been looking at the AC1950B bandsaw for over a year now, just about 15 months. It was £299 and went out of stock. A week or two later the price went to £359.

I went online to buy it I think on Sunday, as wanted to take the plunge, but it was out of stock again online. I know it had been in stock as I’d seen it about three weeks ago. Anyway, no online stock, or possibly available from Newcastle store which his about 80 miles away. I pondered the idea but delivery is more convenient. I checked again yesterday, and it’s £419 in stock. I actually nearly shat myself. It’s gone up 40% in little over 12 months.

I struggle to believe the real costs to Axminster have gone up 40%.

I also loose interest in buying from Smaller retailers uk based.

10” bandsaws are much of a muchness at that price point, so Axminster have likely lost a sale. Not that they will care.

I find it a bit odd when the topic of Axminster price rises comes up.

Axminster pitch their price alongside umpteen competitors based on their view of the world. Some people will buy from them on the basis of the service expectation (which I have always found to be good) or quality (they publish reviews which tell the good and bad of their products) but they know price will always be a factor so I doubt they are trying to gouge us. You can thumb through their catalogue, browse online or go into a shop and handle the goods so easy to compare with deals available elsewhere.

It’s a free market - supply, demand and competition dictate prices.

There are umpteen other good suppliers of woodworking machinery. I got my bandsaw from Grovewood Machinery and was very happy with the service and price.
But if you applied that logic to everything… then what would you have to grumble about?!

Axminster compete in the market place with a whole load of other companies. Bluntly, if you don't like their prices, buy elsewhere.

Personally I have bought from Axminster (not exclusively) on the basis that (a) service tends to be good, (b) they have showrooms so I can talk to a real human being, (c) they carry a range of different products which I can see before I buy.

Purely online retailers have much lower overhead costs unsurprisingly reflected in their prices.

Axminster may have decided to focus on businesses that value and pay for range and service - time is money and dealing with several smaller, often unproven, suppliers may not make sense.

The hobby market where many are looking to save a few ££, which may not offer a long term business relationships, may be of lower priority.

I have bought bits from Axminster for years, I always found them a good company to deal with. Price increases today are due to worldwide shipping problems & delays, Covid pandemic & Brexit. A combination of all three & good old inflation that despite what the goverment tell us is rising rapidly. It isnt just Axminster, everyone is hiking prices, try buying steel sections, that is going up almost weekly! Look at the price of a loaf of bread or a pint of beer!
In reality its devaluation in everything but name.
Now if interest rates went up those of us with savings would be laughing.

I don't blame any business for charging as much as the market will stand. If the business offers something that the market wants and the customers are willing to pay a premium for it, I believe that it is good business practice and makes total sense. I have bought plenty from Axminster over the years. I like to be able to see the stuff that I am buying and I have always found the after sales service to be first class. If I feel that what is on offer is too expensive I buy elsewhere.

When we started our own business we had to charge competitively to gain market share. We noticed, even before we started, that customer service quality in the sector was shocking so we focussed upon that. Once established, people flocked to us because we cared about the service offering and we were able to gradually increase our prices. They still flocked to us. We became about the most expensive supplier within a year and remained so until we retired. We also retained most of our customers throughout and gained a whole lot more. Guess who's pension funds the surplus cash went into?

Doh! I was going to buy the rip fence at 116 quid, its just gone up to 139.... ive been putting it off gor ages ( always more pressing things to pay for

I don't blame any business for charging as much as the market will stand. If the business offers something that the market wants and the customers are willing to pay a premium for it, I believe that it is good business practice and makes total sense. I have bought plenty from Axminster over the years. I like to be able to see the stuff that I am buying and I have always found the after sales service to be first class. If I feel that what is on offer is too expensive I buy elsewhere.

When we started our own business we had to charge competitively to gain market share. We noticed, even before we started, that customer service quality in the sector was shocking so we focussed upon that. Once established, people flocked to us because we cared about the service offering and we were able to gradually increase our prices. They still flocked to us. We became about the most expensive supplier within a year and remained so until we retired. We also retained most of our customers throughout and gained a whole lot more. Guess who's pension funds the surplus cash went into?
You shameless capitalist, what would Comrade Lenin think of you!

As @ian33a says we live in market driven economy and you're free to buy from whoever you like at a price you can afford. No one likes to see prices going up but they are and we have to accept that by either, not buying what's on offer, buying from a different supplier who you think offers better value, or buying from Axminster at the price they're charging.

Personally I think Axminster over values their tools, particularly with the varying quality control I have experienced. I bought a table saw and bandsaw from them, both had to be returned because of manufacturing defects, both replaced free of charge. The table saw I kept, the bandsaw I still wasn't happy with so got a refund. Throughout the whole process Axminster was nothing but helpful, apologetic and efficient. This one episode must have cost them a fortune and that must be reflected in their costs. This is the business model they have chosen to operate.

Another example, I bought a JSP Powercap from Yandles. It was £30 cheaper than buying the equivalent product from Axminster. Six weeks into use it went wrong, I contacted Yandles and had to send the unit back at my expense. They then sent it on to JSP for repair, JSP did nothing for 2 weeks and after chasing promised to fix and return in a week, 2 weeks later still no mask. I complained to Yandles who agreed it was unsatisfactory and sent me a new mask. Now I can't say what Axminster would have done in this situation but I suspect they would have have just sent out a replacement? Was it worth the £30 (less £5 p+p to return) saving I made, well only you can make that choice.

I feel Axminster have chosen to offer good service, with a number of retail outlets, and that costs. A couple of months back, I ordered a bandsaw blade on express delivery as I needed it for the weekend. I phoned them because it hadn't arrived on time on Friday - it turned out that the driver couldn't find our place and was heading back to the depot. Axminster asked me to leave it with them. They then contacted the courier company and somehow made the driver turn around, find the house and complete the delivery the same day.

In this day and age, companies that provide this kind of service are becoming increasingly rare due to price pressure. I'm really glad that at least one is still out there.

Having said that, I'm aware that this doesn't really address the issue of the bewildering price changes and I can't always afford their stuff. Personally, I just put it down to their business model, and take the hit when I want good service.

I have never thought of Axminster as the cheapest, looking at branded items and comparing tells me that but they do offer physical stores, knowledge and service as well as a comprehensive range. I use them for some things not others.
Last August (2020) I was looking at purchasing their Craft planer thicknesses it was priced (in round numbers) at £800. When it came back and after the annual increase it was £1000. Now if I was still looking it is £1300 I think. Huge increase! Why? We’ll it is now the same money as the near equivalent Charnwood competitor. The main reason I suspect is shipping costs. 18 months ago I know of people paying £3K to ship a container from the Far East, today they are paying £18K for the same thing. If you are shipping, say,iPhones this might add a few £ to each item as you could get a lot in a container. You don’t get many machines in a container and relatively speaking they will be low value (not to us!) items. The big question is if shipping goes down will the likes of Axminster prices fall? In the meantime the second hand value of our kit will be better!

Back