Axminster Price Hikes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
An item is worth what someone else will pay for it.... and the perception of 'worth' varies wildly from person to person. Time will tell if a price rise is 'reasonable'. If sales slump, it wasn't and if they continue or increase then it was. The 'market' is always right (so say the economists) and the market is a harsh judge at times.

Axminster has a printed catalogue. If this is renewed only once a year, then they have 1 opportunity for a price rise in the year.
A no deal Brexit will mean the UK will trade on exclusively WTO rules, without the benefit of the EU negotiated WTO tarrifs. Instead, the UK needs to negotiate it's own schedule of WTO tarrifs. These need to be setup and agreed by all 167 member states of WTO. This all takes years.
In the meantime UK will be on the WTO emergency standard tarrifs, which are less favourable than the ones we were on. So stand by for a lot of price rises.
Beef, for example, will be set to rise by around 60% so I understand.

Axminster has a printed catalogue. If this is renewed only once a year, then they have 1 opportunity for a price rise in the year.

I received a printed catalog with my last order from Axminster. There are no prices in my copy. :mad:

They no longer put the prices in MikeK, they only update ordercodes and change stock that has been discontinued or added etc. It is also nothing like the catalogue of old :(

They no longer put the prices in MikeK, they only update ordercodes and change stock that has been discontinued or added etc. It is also nothing like the catalogue of old :(
??? I received mine in the post last week and it is fully priced --- whether the prices are 'current' is a different matter of course .... but it's a guide.

Mike is in Germany so probably gets a different catalogue.
I think it is the catalog that I can leave in plain sight for my wife to see. :)

(She knows the cost of the tools and equipment and says every new project is an opportunity to buy a new tool.)

And what's wrong with that exactly???? :)

Nothing at all! In my "what to do when I pop my clogs" instructions, I have a list of names and businesses to call to help inventory and dispose of the shop, photography, and RC helicopter equipment, as well as the location of the receipts. These are people I trust, and in at least one case is the person who sold me most of the shop equipment. She knows where the receipts are, but I added a reminder just in case.

I think it is the catalog that I can leave in plain sight for my wife to see. :)

(She knows the cost of the tools and equipment and says every new project is an opportunity to buy a new tool.)
Especially when one picks this projects to line up with tool desires!

It will be interesting to see what others sellers do. If the rises are from suppliers and the general costs of importing, then all other sellers will need to follow suit.

The result could be that fewer people upgrade and more leave the market giving up home workshops.

As it is, I heard a few weeks ago that the average wood turner gives up doing it after only 2 years.

It will be interesting to see what others sellers do. If the rises are from suppliers and the general costs of importing, then all other sellers will need to follow suit.

The result could be that fewer people upgrade and more leave the market giving up home workshops.

As it is, I heard a few weeks ago that the average wood turner gives up doing it after only 2 years.

a good proportion of those bought the work zone lathe and gave up shortly after assembling it.

Last edited:
Beef, for example, will be set to rise by around 60% so I understand.

That has to be good news, it will help reduce global warming but is not going to affect price hikes from the likes of Axminster. I can accept a price hike if there is a comparable improvement in quality but all to often the OEM's perform a cost cutting exercise and then ramp the price up.

That has to be good news, it will help reduce global warming but is not going to affect price hikes from the likes of Axminster. I can accept a price hike if there is a comparable improvement in quality but all to often the OEM's perform a cost cutting exercise and then ramp the price up.
Price rises will be on most things across the board. No change in quality. If anything quality will drop as manufacturing try to maintain old prices. This is import tariffs. Nothing of that goes to makers.

Latest posts

Back