Axminster Price Hikes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well at least I know I am not going mad, I was on the verge of buying an Axminster Bobbin sander for £250 and was busy for the next few days, then I went back to complete the order and found it is now £300 so they lost an order and if everyone puts the brakes on spending then they will have sales and stop taking us for mugs. I can why there are so many asian millionares now!

Theyre doing 10% off at the moment

Just ordered myself an Axi craft filter system doo dad as i thought its about time and should be adequate for a single garage. The price hasnt increased and is the same as the record power AC400...in fact it looks like an identical machine yet not in finest green

Apparently it clears fine dust and odours from the air, I wonder if it will clear self virtuous political whiney tripe?
Try it in your garage and let us know.

(sorry, I couldn't resist:))

Just ordered myself an Axi craft filter system doo dad as i thought its about time and should be adequate for a single garage. The price hasnt increased and is the same as the record power AC400...in fact it looks like an identical machine yet not in finest green

Apparently it clears fine dust and odours from the air, I wonder if it will clear self virtuous political whiney tripe?
I was going to buy the Axminster model earlier this year but they were out of stock - bought a Record AC400 from Yandles where the chap on the phone told me it was the same machine - just the handle was different. Price was the same IIRC.

I was going to buy the Axminster model earlier this year but they were out of stock - bought a Record AC400 from Yandles where the chap on the phone told me it was the same machine - just the handle was different. Price was the same IIRC.
yeah i figured as much, i just not a fan of the colour :)

Axminster price hikes are normal they do it often , Me being a sceptic look at the nice new showrooms and think , Where did they get the money from ?
I will leave you to work that one out :)

Axminster price hikes are normal they do it often , Me being a sceptic look at the nice new showrooms and think , Where did they get the money from ?
Earlier this year, i went through every order i made with Axminster and added it all up since my first visit. Now i look around my garage and wonder where all that money is.....and im only just getting started, there are still machines to buy!

I don’t really follow the logic of that ...

As I replace their old catalogue with the new one it looks like the last time was a year ago?

Their retail outlets have been built up over a number of years and undoubtedly must be funded by them making a profit (probably to repay a loan) but that will have come from the extra sales they make through having the stores.

What am I missing?

Was in one of their stores today and commented on the price rises and was told they had just done their annual price review prior to the new catalogue release. Was told that across the board price rises only happen once a year with increases due to changing cost of goods sourced (inflation) and exchange rate fluctuation.

My "local" Axminster is about 40 mins away. It is a metal industrial shed type building, on its own, in a field in pretty much the middle of nowhere. Roughly near Maidstone. I would imagine the building is pretty cheap. I don't find it extravagant and it also houses a training centre. If you buy large machinery it all seems to come from a central warehouse. I quite enjoy a visit :cool:

Their price rise wont bother me. Every leccy tool in my modest garage is s/h. All chisels and planes, s/h. Only thing I buy new are glues and handsaws.

Their price rise wont bother me. Every leccy tool in my modest garage is s/h. All chisels and planes, s/h. Only thing I buy new are glues and handsaws.

It will also affect second hand prices too. When people go to sell something, they will be setting their price based on the current market price, not what they paid for it.

I'm in the market for a sharpening system & had narrowed it down to the Sorby & Axminster systems & despite being around 20% more, leaning towards the latter for its extra features.
Now it's 40% more, so back to Sorby...

It will also affect second hand prices too. When people go to sell something, they will be setting their price based on the current market price, not what they paid for it.
If you believe that all second hand stuff gets sold at book price, like a car, you must buy in different places from me. S/H stuff gets sold on a whim, or when people have no real knowledge of what they sell, or are desperate for money. The possibilities and opportunities are endless with s/h anything.

I'm in the market for a sharpening system & had narrowed it down to the Sorby & Axminster systems & despite being around 20% more, leaning towards the latter for its extra features.
Now it's 40% more, so back to Sorby...

I can recommend the Sorby having recently bought one, with now the knife sharpening jig, the buffing wheel and several home made jigs. The best price I found was here:

https://www.toolsandtimber.co.uk/proedge-sharpening-system-grouped-2983
The Axminster is not only more expensive but so are its jigs.

You might find it a disadvantage that the Sorby runs its belt downwards so you sharpen with bevels against the belt travel rather than with it, as with the Axminster. I find no disadvantage with the Sorby belt travel though. The machine is a piece of well-engineered stuff - no Far East crude castings and so forth.

Sharpening belts are cheaper from Axminster, though. They fit the Sorby too.

Eshmiel

If you believe that all second hand stuff gets sold at book price, like a car, you must buy in different places from me. S/H stuff gets sold on a whim, or when people have no real knowledge of what they sell, or are desperate for money. The possibilities and opportunities are endless with s/h anything.
I didn't say 'all'.

And I would agree with you, there is definately bargains to be had. But for the most part, people know what they're selling. A good example is the Festool Domino, where the older ones go for pretty much the same price they were purchased at.

Since the domino df500 seems to like rocking horse teeth new at the moment in many places its also propping up used prices.

AT350WL woodturning lathe was £899.95

Now £999.98

£100 hike in one go !!! :eek:

10%. I am happy that I am not in the market for buying one and been stung by it, but given the various variables, I doubt that it is unjustifiable compared with 12 months ago.

Back