Axminster Pocket hole jig

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shady

Established Member
Reaction score
Anyone played with one of these? I've just received one, and it seems ok (my intro to pocket holes). However, it seems fractionally too 'large' for 1/2" material: 3/4 or bigger will be fine, but I can't see any simple way to 'shim the work so that it's drilling a pilot hole that will emerge in the 'centre' of a half inch piece of wood.. Any thoughts in here?

TIA

Hi Shady,

Well, if it is anything like the Trend version, you may be out of luck:
Trend Pocket Hole Jig Manual":1sh3ust4 said:
The jig can be used on material from 16mm to 38mm thick. If the material is thinner than optimum 19mm thickness the screw will not exit in the centre and likewise if thicker material is used. Even though the screw does not exit in the centre a tight joint will be still be created.
The manual for the Trend is here in case it is of some use :)

NeilCFD

I would have thought that 12mm is a bit thin for any typr of pocket hole jig - gettng a bit close to the edge for carcase work, I'd say.

If you really want to try it, you may well have more control using something like Ian's jig or mine, both of which are in this thread:

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/view ... ght=pocket

They take a little time to make, but you can set them for any thickness. Whether or not its a good idea to set them to any thickness is another matter altogether.....

Cheers
Steve

Thanks guys: Steve, you may be right, but one of the things that attracted me was the number of US comments to the effect that drawers and face frames could be quickly/easily knocked up with such jigs. In my experience, both tend to the 1/2" side of life, with the main carcass at 3/4".

I can immediately see that it'll be cracking in such stock, but I may play around with some 1/2"... Can't see why it shouldn't be perfectly acceptable in 1/2" if I can avoid 'blow-out' in drilling: glue and the clamping action should lead to a perfectly acceptable joint, IMHO....

Latest posts

Back