Axminster planer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rs6mra

Established Member
Reaction score
Can anyone provide an info in this planer please? I have an opportunity to buy it but the seller knows very little about it and I want to be able to compare it to other basic models price wise (£150) as I don’t think there is much difference between all of them but I stand to be corrected. I have never owned a planer before.

Attachments

• BAD977CC-8F23-43B0-9C45-E21D5DD9F828.jpeg
    BAD977CC-8F23-43B0-9C45-E21D5DD9F828.jpeg
    127.2 KB · Views: 74
  • 09C5881A-E9E4-4D1C-B528-03E1863748D3.jpeg
    09C5881A-E9E4-4D1C-B528-03E1863748D3.jpeg
    141.6 KB · Views: 71
I'm sure someone will know better than me, but from the photos it's part of their White series, so at a guess 10-15 years old. The White series was the precursor to the current Trade series - I've got a bandsaw from the range. I think my thicknesser-planer is from the period when they kept the machines the same but changed the branding from White to Trade.

Both of my machines have been reliable and performed well, though I've little to compare them against. Both have needed tweaks; the springs behind the planer knives were far too strong so setting the height was near impossible. Swapped them for weaker springs and suddenly it was very straightforward.

My only comment on that is that the fence doesn't look terribly substantial, so getting an accurate 90° on the edge of a board might not be terribly straightforward.

Happy to be corrected on any or all of this!

Thanks for that and I figured it was quite old. I had my doubts about that fence and at the price, I was thinking I might as well give one of the local brands a go or the Triton version.

It's probably a decent solid machine - cast iron tables and the body looks substantial, but yes, perhaps a slightly ambitious price. I'd think it'll be better than anything new at the price.

Might be of help for you.
I'd be on the lookout for something with an induction motor personally.
Have a lesser quality nutool thing a mate gave me, it's too loud for me.
Never even set it up, the cheaper ones have a coated bit of steel plate which peels off like tinfoil, and leaves just about the grippiest surface you could imagine.:p
but both bases are made of plastic.
It states two cast iron tables, but surely one would be close to the entire weight of the 23kg machine
Hardly a misprint..:unsure:
I would think it would be noticeable if it were the case from the sellers pics?
SAM_4914.JPG

This looks quite similar to a Rexon planer i picked up a few months ago on FB marketplace for £50 a few months ago. I was surprised at how good the machine is......except for the fence which is a pain in the posterior to get square and keep it square. This is based on just running a few bits of wood through it, haven't used it properly yet so may stay square but i imagine i'll be checking it all the time.

1633508929550.png

1633508967962.png

OOn the plus side its relatively mobile, i can just about lift it onto my bench, so i can keep it stored out the way and then just move it into place when i need it.

Back