Axminster perform Lathe.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, that's got me stumped. I wonder if it's had its headstock spindle changed in its previous life by earlier owner.
Maybe you could look to replace the spindle shaft with a more common size, 1" 8tpi or 3/4 16tpi?
Sorry, but can't think of or find any other solution, short of buying a plain bore to 1" 8tpi or what yo prefer and get a machinist to tap the bore to suit your existing spindle thread.

Like this possibly:
https://www.recordpower.co.uk/product/thread-adaptor-58-plain-bore
Thank you for information will keep look thanks again

The CCL Perform & CCSL are different lathes.

Axminster No. . CCSL Rated Hobby
Motor 230V a.c. 50Hz, 1448 rpm. 370W
Headstock Spindle Thread T04M (1” x 8 tpi)
Headstock Spindle and Tailstock Barrel Tapers No. 2 Morse

Attachments

• Lathe - APTC CCSL.pdf
    579.4 KB · Views: 7
Might be worth dropping Axminster an email. Their customer service and product knowledge is excellent even for discontinued lines. Unless someone has modified the spindle, they might be able to confirm the spindle threads used on that series of lathe.

If you don’t mind me asking how accurately did you take the measurements - did you use a micrometer or vernier/dial callipers?
6tpi is a coarse thread and not standard on 3/4” (10tpi is usual)
Could it be 1” 8tpi maybe with tops of the threads flattened to make them more robust. This will slightly reduce the diameter.
Feel like complete silly person as new to this, looking at Lathe earlier, noticed it had adaptor on shaft, when I removed it, the actual shaft is 1" but only counted 5 threads, I'm thinking if this was threaded
Thank you for answer.

Thank you for you reply.
As mentioned Dia 3/4" counted threads
Feel like complete silly person, looking at lathe earlier, noticed it had adaptor fitted, when I removed it was 1" dia but when counted threads was only 5.
I'm thinking if thus was threaded to end shaft would that give me 8tpi.
Feel embarrassed bit now.
Have included photo of shaft
Dave
20210922_185347.jpg

Yep, 1" 8 tpi. Nothing silly about your queries, we all have to learn, it would be silly not to ask.
Hope you enjoy your turning.

Thank you for replying, did you see photo of shaft taken after removing the adapter which was applied. So I take it if threads where longer to end shaft that woukd be 8tpi as only showing 5 threads as in photo.
Thank you for kind remarks

Hi, it's not the number of threads you see, it's how many would be in an inch, hence tpi.(Threads per Inch)
So if thread length was 1.5 inch, then if it was an 8 tpi thread, you would see 12 threads.

But it all changes when you move to metric, as they give the measurement as pitch distance, so for example a M33x3.5 is 33mm diameter and pitch is 3.5 mm from crest of thread to crest of next thread.

Hi, it's not the number of threads you see, it's how many would be in an inch, hence tpi.(Threads per Inch)
So if thread length was 1.5 inch, then if it was an 8 tpi thread, you would see 12 threads.

But it all changes when you move to metric, as they give the measurement as pitch distance, so for example a M33x3.5 is 33mm diameter and pitch is 3.5 mm from crest of thread to crest of next thread.
Thank you that's cleared it up very much
Thank you once again 👏

Hi there,
I have owned the same version from new as yours for some 12 years and mine has a 1" v 8tpi thread. The overall thread diameter on mine reads 0.942" on my micrometer so as suggested earlier the thread crests on yours may have been rounded off even more than on mine. Really robust and serviceable machine that has done many hours of work and has the advantage of being portable.

Hi there,
I have owned the same version from new as yours for some 12 years and mine has a 1" v 8tpi thread. The overall thread diameter on mine reads 0.942" on my micrometer so as suggested earlier the thread crests on yours may have been rounded off even more than on mine. Really robust and serviceable machine that has done many hours of work and has the advantage of being portable.
Thank you for replying. Don't have micrometer but will use digital vernier and double check so much valuable information on this site thank you all.

Feel like complete silly person as new to this, looking at Lathe earlier, noticed it had adaptor on shaft, when I removed it, the actual shaft is 1" but only counted 5 threads, I'm thinking if this was threaded

Feel like complete silly person, looking at lathe earlier, noticed it had adaptor fitted, when I removed it was 1" dia but when counted threads was only 5.
I'm thinking if thus was threaded to end shaft would that give me 8tpi.
Feel embarrassed bit now.
Have included photo of shaft
DaveView attachment 118397

No problems - we’re all learning and this forum is a great place to get top quality answers.
I suggest you measure the distance over 4 threads - if it is 1”x8tpi (which it looks like and I suspect it is), 4 threads should be 1/2inch, like this….
0F60E4BD-D28D-42A6-BDCB-B2F834BCB610.jpeg

No problems - we’re all learning and this forum is a great place to get top quality answers.
I suggest you measure the distance over 4 threads - if it is 1”x8tpi (which it looks like and I suspect it is), 4 threads should be 1/2inch, like this….
View attachment 118421
Thank you for your reply yes we all have start somewhere so much fantastic information on this site.

Latest posts

Back