Axminster Perform CCL - frustrating problem...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frazer

Reaction score
Hello everyone

So I got this lathe 2nd hand about 2 months ago. All worked well unitl about a month ago lathe seemed to be struggling for power and began to stop the motor with a rather light cut.

I changed the belt. No help.

I changed the capacitor as I'd read it was a potential cause. No help.

I splashed out and got a new motor which I've just put in and lo-and-behold no difference!!!

My tools are sharp (tormek style system). Wood is green birch. Cuts are light.

Anybody with an idea? there's hardly anything to the machine and I can't think of anything else it could be.

Thanks in advance ;)
Frazer

Does the spindle spin freely? If the new motor made no difference, I wonder if something is binding and taking up all the power from the motor eg spindle bearings.

Coming at it from another angle, what is the cable supplying it?
Undersized wiring, frayed or squashed wires, loose connections, all will choke a motors performance under load.

Thanks for replies people.

Spindle seems to me to be moving freely when spun by hand but I shall pay closer attention today and see.

Whilst trying to sleep last night the wiring idea was there. Again I’ll have a route about today and report back.

Thanks again. Can’t wait to get back turning!

A quick search online implies this lathe has a variable ratio belt drive, I believe these can be a bit tricky to diagnose if not working properly. Worth having a look in the headstock and watching it change speeds, see if anything looks wrong.

Is the motor truly stopping under load, or is only the spindle stopping and therefore belt drive slipping perhaps?

By saying CCL lathe I'm assuming you are referring to one of the Reeves drive models with a swivel head.
Sounds to me that the cone pulleys are not sliding freely or are not fitted correctly and allowing the belt to slip.

You say you have changed the motor, how did you assemble the spring loaded sliding pully mechanism, is the fixed half nearest the motor housing located correctly, does the spring completely close up the two halves? Is it lubricated to allow smooth sliding?
(If the rear pully half above had moved and you have just assembled it in the same location on the new motor then you would still have the same problem)

Are the main spindle pulley halves secured to the main shaft correctly, are the locating grub screws tight, does the pulley open and close correctly when you move the speed lever?

Odd if it was working well and isn't now, can you think of anything that's changed?

Good thoughts above. Here's where I would start.

Disengage belt, spin head by hand, should be free.

Are you bowl turning or Spindle turning? If the latter, mount a piece between centres as you would normally, belt off, spin by hand. If its not free, tailstock and headstock might be misaligned or the live centre bearing shot, or maybe just all too tight.

Thinking about tightness, belt when on needs to be snug but not super tight, you should be able to deflect it a cm or so on a long edge with a push of your thumb. Too tight puts sideways load on bearings and will add drag.

I know nothing of variable speed pulleys but suggestions above seem likely to me.

Then to the electrics. Check for nice clean connections, then what else is running off same supply. Lathe rating plate should show current in Amps, if not divide watts by 250 and add a bit for startup load, if you have a lamp then say 0.5 amp, vac or dust extraction 5 amps or more...what else? If its all through an extension cable you are reaching the limit. If you are in a garage or shed, what's the supply to that like? Maybe switch everything except the Lathe off and see what happens.

I had the Axminster 900 which is the same set up, the variable speed needed regular clean and lube, also check the head stock bearings as it is a used lathe they mau be shot, but are easy to replace.

Back