Axminster paste wax or machine wax?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rorschach

Reaction score
Mostly going to be used for table/band saw protection, is there any benefit to the machine wax that costs almost double, or should I just get the basic paste wax that could also be used on wood projects too? (I assume machine wax is no good on wood). Not going to waste my good renaissance wax :lol:

At the school where i work i got sent a sample of that machine wax with some tools i ordered. No appreciable difference between any other paste wax.
Use what you have or an old candle rubbed over it, all will do the same job.

You can forget about those hocus pocus waxes!
Get some John J. Power & CO electro paste, it works for everything, and whats better that a tub of this stuff lasts a lifetime!
Just like the Dagda's cauldron of plenty, everytime I apply some, it magically fills up to the brim
again when I turn me backs.
Don't be fooled buying stuff that runs out
This is the REAL DEAL!
Remember, you heard it here first.

Attachments

• SAM_2274.JPG
    SAM_2274.JPG
    173.9 KB · Views: 249
  • SAM_2272.JPG
    SAM_2272.JPG
    198.2 KB · Views: 248
I use FinishKare - 1000P High Temp Paste wax Sample £4 from cleanyourcar website, lasts forever.

Ian

I've started using microcrystalline wax. I purloined some to do my mgb bumpers and never gave it back!
It's only my brother's though!

Used to use paste wax, predominantly use silicone spray now.

When you're using the machines pretty much all day every day you don't so much need a protective film so much as you need just a little slick now and again, Used wax for years (Big 5L Fiddes tin) but I was finding that having to turn off the machine, letting it spin down, lower tables / remove guards and apply new wax every 30 minutes or so was getting annoying. So I started using the silicone spray and it's really streamlined everything as you just give it a small spritz whilst the machine is running without adjusting a thing and it runs through like butter, if not better than the wax in my opinion.

You do get the occasional comment about it being a totally idiotic idea because it affects the finish but after a few hundred doors, windows, staircases, kitchens etc and seeing no discernable effect, I don't think it makes any difference to the finish. Of course, everything gets sanded once it's been through the machines so any residue is sanded off if there is any.

But as far as actual moisture protection goes the wax is a dead ringer over the silicone spray, I don't think the silicone spray protects much at all from moisture but a coat of wax definitely does. Although I've never used it myself I've heard many good things about Boeshield T-9 from people whose opinion I would trust, gives a very good protection against moisture and rust apparently.

I am primarily looking for rust prevention. I would use oil or grease except for the fact I would have the clean the saw down before use, wax seemed the best compromise.

My machines sit in an unheated garage all winter - I'm frequently away for months - all I have ever done is given them a polish with Johnsons (or whatever was to hand) furniture wax. Not a spot of rust.

Boeshield or Lanacote both work well as a spray but leave a residue that will attract sawdust with a vengeance. I've always been wary of silicones for the contamination of finishes reason stated but have no actual experience of it..

A wipe down with 3 in 1 seems to keep my handtools in good shape.

Back