Axminster offer - stonking deal on JET Grinder!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ike

Established Member
Reaction score
Just receives this offer. I already have one. It's a great bit of kit. Some may say less so than the Scheppach. But at nearly half the price....

:wink: Ike

ike

is this really a good piece of kit, been looking at the Tormek for a while but as you say at half the price.

i'm just after a good quality grinder for chisels and planes, how would you rate it

thanks

alan wells":7jp782ax said:
ike

is this really a good piece of kit, been looking at the Tormek for a while but as you say at half the price.

i'm just after a good quality grinder for chisels and planes, how would you rate it

thanks

Oy !!! You !!! imposter !!! , Why are you using my name ???

I am Allen Wells :lol: :p

Does this mean I am not Unique ?

Whats it like being ME ?

Allen Wells :wink:

ah, but the trouble is you spell your name wrong
by the way it's great being me, well you'd know that of course what with also having such a great name

alan

Hi Alan,

I rate it highly. It is a well designed, very well made grinder. It is better than the Tormek in that the water bath is better designed to avoid overspill. I can't compare it with a Tormek but performancewise I can't fault it. There are a comprehensive range of fixtures (interchangeable with Tormek). The standard machine package is generously specified, although they used to include the diamond truing tool which they don't with this offer.

PS. I bought the honing wheel accessory. In reality very good indeed for gouges but not a necessity for chisels and plane blades. I'd stick with a simple strop.

At this price, it's a no-brainer if you are thinking of a wetstone grinder. :wink:

cheers,

Ike

ike":3mg3fwy3 said:
I rate it highly. It is a well designed, very well made grinder.
I will second that, the LOML bought me one of them a couple of Christmases ago, I grind all of my primary bevels with it and use the ultra fine ceramic stone for the final micro bevel.

oh no, i'm getting tempted
dave, what ultra fine ceramic stone ? i have a 4000 & 8000 norton stone at the moment

Spyderco ultra fine.

Available from Axminster, or they'll export direct (and are a good company to deal with). They do a lovely 8 x 3 version. They sent me the 2" one by mistake, sent a replacement, and told me to keep the 2" to compensate for my "trouble" such as it was. It's a bit spare, I guess. :lol:

LarryS":g9zkq8cq said:
oh no, i'm getting tempted

So was I today as I patted the one on display, but as the days petrol bill + the cost of the bit of paper at the till needed to let me into the main warehouse up the road was already well into 3 figures I figured the rest of the day may not have been quite so congenial as we motored back home via lunch at the Lime Kiln Inn and a nip into Martock, Weston, Bristol etc. for a little more shopping therapy.

Jake":kyc35jkd said:
Spyderco ultra fine.

Available from Axminster, or they'll export direct (and are a good company to deal with). They do a lovely 8 x 3 version. They sent me the 2" one by mistake, sent a replacement, and told me to keep the 2" to compensate for my "trouble" such as it was. It's a bit spare, I guess. :lol:

Jake - how do the 2 compare - are they the same except for the size?
I have the 2" one which is OK but I had to spend some time removing the surface grinding marks. I think I read somewhere that the 3" has a finer surface grind and no visible marks? (They show up as swirls of black as soon as you start honing).

Cheers

Gidon

I haven't used the 2" stone at all. I only got the replacement 3" the other day, so I've only ran one blade across it in a very half-hearted try out. I didn't notice any swirls, but I'll post again after having a closer look (and a better test-out) to let you know.

Yes, there are visible surface grinder swirls - here's a couple of photos in different lights:

Re flatness, I couldn't get a 0.05mm feeler gauge anywhere between the stone and my big M&W square:

So I think they may have sorted that legendary/mythical problem - at least to my satisfaction (I have low standards, probably).

Thanks Jake - yep same as my 2" - thanks for confirming this. Still tempted by the 3" with an upcoming trip to the US!
The flatness problem is true of all the Spyderco stones except the Ultra Fines which are surface ground to +/- 0.002" so I'm told.
Cheers
Gidon

Back