Axminster O'Donnell Jaws

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for your incredibly quick reply, Colin.
I've got a versachuck, which comes with 60 Internal and 75 External, so these seem to cover most smaller stuff, (though not e.g. a pen blank, so it can be drilled on the lathe - Do you recommend anything for this?
Cheers,
Greg

I have bought an Axminster super precision chuck off eBay with internal and external jaw set with this purpose in mind. Will let you know when it arrives (picked up from seller by a colleague) and have had a chance to try it, but I think they should work well for holding pen blanks.

Si

knappers":1uuo3o4d said:
I have bought an Axminster super precision chuck off eBay with internal and external jaw set with this purpose in mind. Will let you know when it arrives (picked up from seller by a colleague) and have had a chance to try it, but I think they should work well for holding pen blanks.

Si

Si,
Thanks for that - I'd be pleased to hear how you get on with it - The pillar drill is frankly a pain in the behind for pen blanks!
Greg

gregmcateer":220ke025 said:
Thanks for your incredibly quick reply, Colin.
I've got a versachuck, which comes with 60 Internal and 75 External, so these seem to cover most smaller stuff, (though not e.g. a pen blank, so it can be drilled on the lathe - Do you recommend anything for this?
Cheers,
Greg

Never turned a pen so no idea - sorry

gregmcateer":1d7ndqga said:
though not e.g. a pen blank, so it can be drilled on the lathe - Do you recommend anything for this?
Cheers,
Greg

Hi Greg,
If you get the O'Donnell jaws with the inserts, the smallest set of inserts allow you to grip a pen blank (either round or square) in the cylindrical section for drilling. Another alternative is to use the internal jaws from the int/ext set but I wouldn't buy these just for this job if you will already have the O'Donnell jaws.

John and Paul,

Many thanks for the help re the pen blanks holding - so it's onto Axi and keep the credit card statement hidden from SWMBO, I guess!

PS John - love your step by step guide and clear photos - really good.

Greg

I've had my set for years now and would be totally lost without them. They are used from

Ballchuck3.jpg

to

Elmbowlspinning.jpg

The ball is one of 37 for a lazy susan and the bowl is 10" elm with a big hole in one side that made it quite unballanced!

They will hold just about anything and mine are fitted to the Axy K8 chuck.

The lazy susan is 17" dia and was also hael in the O'D jaws!! Love em :mrgreen:

Jonzjob":3kf1j7ps said:
I've had my set for years now and would be totally lost without them. They are used from

Ballchuck3.jpg

to

Elmbowlspinning.jpg

The ball is one of 37 for a lazy susan and the bowl is 10" elm with a big hole in one side that made it quite unballanced!

They will hold just about anything and mine are fitted to the Axy K8 chuck.

The lazy susan is 17" dia and was also hael in the O'D jaws!! Love em :mrgreen:

Have you finished your lazy Susan then?

Are you going to share?

Used these for a few years mounted on a versa chuck. great jaws, very versatile & easy to use. The jaw inserts change with no hassle.

Jonzjob and Bill,
Many thanks for the positive reinforcement.
There'll be on order Monday, along with a 2MT drill chuck and a parting tool. (Shhh! 'Er indoors is outdoors Monday!)
Greg

gregmcateer":2ujo4lku said:
Jonzjob and Bill,
There'll be on order Monday, along with a 2MT drill chuck and a parting tool. (Shhh! 'Er indoors is outdoors Monday!)
Greg

It's ok Greg we understand - you really wouldn't have but for the kids desperately needing the bits for their next project. It would be a real shame to disappoint them! :wink:

Colin! Can I have some of what you are on please :? :? :?

Children (goats have kids) , projects? What the hell Greg, go for it while she ain't looking and show SWMBO the results of what you have achieved with your new purchase..

Failing that, hide it and swear that you have managed to turn your latest jem just from the info you have gleaned from all your wonderful mates on here :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Jonzjob":nj2xjg3r said:
Colin! Can I have some of what you are on please :? :? :?

Children (goats have kids) , projects? What the hell Greg, go for it while she ain't looking and show SWMBO the results of what you have achieved with your new purchase..

Failing that, hide it and swear that you have managed to turn your latest jem just from the info you have gleaned from all your wonderful mates on here :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

John

What you don't know is that Greg brought his kids to the bash as they are keen and budding turners

... That will help make a bit more sense to the "foreign" contingent :lol: 8) :lol:

Wood spoiler":1v3bai6h said:
gregmcateer":1v3bai6h said:
Jonzjob and Bill,
Greg

It's ok Greg we understand - you really wouldn't have but for the kids desperately needing the bits for their next project. It would be a real shame to disappoint them! :wink:

Ha ha! I like your style.
WIll try that angle.
G

Latest posts

Back